How do I see and manage Web Threats for my users via the console?

• 15 June 2015
  • 6 replies

Is it possible using the console to see and manage Web Threat websites that have been flagged when my users try to access them?

Currently I have supression turned on so that my users cannot allow sites themselves when prompted by WebRoot. I am having to turn it off, access the site, allow it, then turn supression back on. It's not an ideal process.

I've been unable to find anywhere within policies, groups, settings so far to manage website access. I've also noted that wehn I do allow a site, not entry is placed in the overrides area which is where I would have expected to find it.

Perhaps I'm missing something? Thanks in advance.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Unfortunately there isn't a method to do what you are asking - you can either continue using the workaround you've mentioned, or contact support for anything that is a false positive and we can correct it on our end.  What sort of sites are getting blocked - can you give some examples?
Hi Nic,

Thanks for the response.

One site that was blocked (that I have now allowed) was a motorcycle performance parts site. The business is local to us and we know the people personally. We know their site should also be trustworthy.

http://www.woolichracing.com

I used the workaround to allow access for my users. There have only been 1 or 2 other sites so far that I've manually allowed as well but I don't recall which sites they were sorry.

Thanks, Lee.
Userlevel 2
Badge +15
I just had a situation where a client's website was getting blocked by their webroot. I too prohibit end users from allowing blocked sites. Although there is no control to manage blocked sites, I called Webroot support, and the block was removed as a false positive. Took about 3 minutes, if that.

In reality, if a website is blocked, without taking time to do some research I really don't know any better than my end users if a website is okay or not. Legitimate websites, and especially banner ads, get infected everday, and the infections get resolved everyday. It's really not my job to keep up with all of that. Webroot has people for that. If I had the abilty to do so, I would likely end up allowing an infected site eventually.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Yeah for situations like that, just put in ticket and we'll get it whitelisted pretty quickly. A lot of the determinations are automated, and one of the factors that often penalizes a site is how young it is. This is because most phishing sites are only a day old so anything that doesn't have a history is immediately suspicious.
Userlevel 2
Badge +15
That brings up a question: If a website is moved to a new host and the DNS records updated, or Registrar records are otherwise updated, might that get a site marked as "young"? That was the case with the site belonging to this client.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
I would think it would go off the domain registration, but it could be that age of the DNS records is a factor as well.  In any case, anytime you have a site that is miscategorized just go here and submit it for review:
http://www.brightcloud.com/tools/change-request-url-reputation.php