I need to install WR on a pc that will have its IP change when I get it on location. Can I do that?

Hi. I need to install webroot on a pc prior to taking it to its permanent location. Can I install it with one IP and then update the IP when I get the pc in place?

10 replies

One must obviously wait for at least the time between updates, but even when we set it to use 15 minutes intervals, the IP address shown in the console will often not update for several hours.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
If you set the check-in time on the endpoints to 15 minutes in the policy then it will update faster, but erik is right that it might not show the new IP right away. The console only shows new data when the endpoints send it in.
Erik, Thanks for confirming what Nic said... You are right - I probably would have been in panic mode! 🙂
nic is right about the keycode and that the pc will show up in the right place in your console nomatter where you move it. However, I normally do not rely too much on the IP reported by the console, as there seem to be a delay of several hours. So when you bring the pc to the other location, your console may still display the 'old' IP for some time. Not very important but still good to know to avoid panic 😉
Nic, thanks...
This is my first off site installation - didn't want to mess it up!
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Yep!
will it update to show the correct IP when the pc gets installed at the new location?
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Yep. The endpoints don't care where they are checking in from, since it all goes to our central cloud console anyway. As long as you install it with the same keycode as the rest of the office then it will show up properly in the console the same as any other of your devices.
Hi Nic. Are you saying I can add webroot with one IP (at my office), then take the pc to another site tomorrow and it will be ok? Don't I need to somehow get the new/correct IP associated with it?

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
It shouldn't matter what IP it is on when you install. It goes off the keycode for identification.