Malicious content warning tests

• 3 December 2015
  • 4 replies

Are there test files/pages that I can use for training? 

We are new to Webroot and I want to show my users what to expect.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +33
With the newer agents an extension gets added to major browsers that will show search results with a color coded button next to them.

This gives a very quick site reputation if it is safe, high risk etc. Go to malc0de.com/database and look there for trouble
Userlevel 7
For files, you can use the standard EICAR test file.

I'm interested in the response to this as well. Back when I worked there, I made a request for a test page that was manually modified to be dangerous in the records for the web scanner but was not really dangerous if somebody went there anyway.
Userlevel 7
Badge +33
The EICAR test file is good to ensure and test that the agent functions and shields work, but it's not real world.

My post above and files from that site might pose more of a challenge for the product. Be warned to use at own risk.

John
Userlevel 7
The idea behind training is that it's not real world. Create a replica of the message that is created in a malicious situation without it being a malicious situation. In fact, when I was working for Webroot, we very explicitly would recommend against using real infectious resources for numerous reasons, safety against errors being the highest among those.

The idea is not to pose a challenge to the product. The original request was to show users what to expect to see if the product encountered something malicious.