Solved

My friend ran a "Cracked webroot"

• 9 September 2020
  • 10 replies

So my friend was trying to get a webroot subscription he had showed me this “free webroot cracked” lol just another key basically but he’s afraid now because he found out that you can basically  do things to people’s computer from “endpoint” as its called, what can he do to prevent his computer from being damaged?

Didn’t really know where to post this
Also I told him to try uninstalling the webroot, so they cant run anything to the computer (I think)

icon

Best answer by TripleHelix 10 September 2020, 01:14

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +54

Hi @JustArandomDude  and welcome to the Webroot Community.

You should tell your friend that in order to protect his computer he should uninstall the program completely and then purchase a legitimate one from Webroot, install it and then he will be able to receive help from the Webroot staff if and when he needs it. This help comes free with all current subscriptions of the program.

It is always a bad idea to get around paying for computer software by using “cracked” licences as they can/do allow backdoors etc into the users computer and leaving them open to hackers etc.

JtR

Any other way to uninstall webroot besides just using control panel? He completely removed it off his computer and it, went back to using windows defender does that mean its fine?

Here's the video, that the user on reddit had given @Jasper_The_Rasper 

Snip Removed video. TH

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

@JustArandomDude ,

If it doesn’t show up in his programs list, he is likely all set. Please note that using cracked software is highly risky and the downloads for cracking software often contains malware...even if its for cracking an antivirus software. Be warned.

@khumphrey, Thank you for the response he was worried that removing it from the programs list didn’t completely uninstall it, he didn’t realize that other licenses could lead to that sort of thing, he’ll be purchasing soon (I hope) I removed the wrdata and other stuff for him. He didn’t download anything he just used the license in the video that was shown, but he installed the actual webroot installer.

Userlevel 7
Badge +63

@JustArandomDude  sorry but scams are scams where ever way you look at it there is nothing good that is free. Here is an old thread for locations of most of the Webroot Files: https://community.webroot.com/archive-kb-68/installation-folder-and-file-locations-3766

Do a search on the said PC for Webroot Files!

@TripleHelix  It’s, strange because the key’s actually worked, that's what my friend said

Userlevel 7
Badge +63

@TripleHelix  It’s, strange because the key’s actually worked, that's what my friend said

I seen the Video and the person showed many Keycodes but so he is at fault but I would not use it or them. From my Webroot Online Console I can see all devices using my keycode and can remove any Device I want and that will make the Client on a persons PC useless or I can make it uninstall itself, so it’s plain wrong IMO.

@TripleHelix  So is my friend safe from the console commands? or is it too late he uninstalled it as soon as he used it.

Userlevel 7
Badge +63

@TripleHelix  So is my friend safe from the console commands? or is it too late he uninstalled it as soon as he used it.

If it is uninstalled all should be fine!

Ask him to look in these 3 spots to make sure the folders are gone?

C:\Program Files\Webroot

C:\ProgramData\WRData Folder (Hidden Area)

C:\ProgramData\WRCore Folder (Hidden Area)

If there gone most if not all of Webroot is gone!

HTH,