3 of the PC's are Windows XP, 1 is Windows 7 32 Bit and the final is Windows 7 64 bit.
All 3 of the XP Boxes lose the ability to cut and paste. Rebooting fixes it for a while, but it happens again within 10 minutes. Shutting down Secure Anywhere fixes the problem immediately without reboot and it works fine until I restart Secure Anywhere. And it will happen again in a few minutes. It will come and go.
On the 32 Bit Windows 7 PC, the CPU stays neat 100% when I am using Chrome. The mouse movement becomes "sticky" and I end up shutting down Chrome and restarting it. Within 5 minutes with 3 or 4 tabs open, it happens again. I only have a couple of extentions. When I shut down SecureAnywhere, the CPU does not hit 100%.
On this same PC, the number keys change to arrow keys so the cursor jumps all over the screen when I try to enter numbers. The regular numbers over the letters work. I can turn Num Lock on and off a number of times and it eventually will behave like it should. It toggles on my screen correctly, just does not do what it is supposed to do. If I turn off Secure Anywhere, it returns to normal immediately.
This morning I was unable to get to any website on this same PC at all. I opened a DOS Window and sent a ping to a remote server across a VPN and it returned the ping just fine. I did a tracert to check on the DNS lookup and it worked correctly. I opened Firefox and had the same problem. I then tried IE8 and it worked fine. Retested Chrome and FireFox - still dead. I disabled Secure Anywhere and restarted Chrome again and it worked fine. Didn't try FireFox.
On the same Win7-32 PC I ran a program that I run every morning that I wrote to "scrape" information from several web sites to create a daily report. I wrote it in Visual Basic using Internet Explorer Automation. It navigates to a web page, logs into an account and then navigates to a report, saves the HTML to a variable and parses the data for the information I need. IT failed parsing the data, everything else was OK. I looked at the data that was failing and the sub-string I was looking for was in the data, but was "not found". Rebooted the PC and tried again. Failed. Disabled Secure Anywhere and tried again and it worked fine.
On my office XP machine, I had a blue screen this morning. All I did was open Chrome. I can't recall that happening on this PC ever before. Not sure if it is related or not, but I had to restart. I went to this web page to see if these problems were anywhere in this forum and I was unable to get into the forum. Web page unavailable. Restarted Chrome - same thing. Disabled WebRoot SA and got right in.
I installed the mobile version on my Droid Bionic. The Droid slowed down considerably. Not one of those things I noticed immediately, but over the last few days, it was taking a longer and longer time to open things. I also noticed that my navigation seemed to be stuck on "Searching for GPS" for several minutes. The last couple of days, on my daily jog I started my app "Smart Training" and I began my jog. I then let that run in the background and, as usual, hit the Home icon and opened Pandora. It took a couple of minutes for Pandora to load and begin playing, a lot longer than usual. At the end of my run, I end Pandora and press "stop" in Smart Training. I put the Mobile Security app on late last week and had this problem on Friday, I skipped my run Sat and Sun because of the heat and resumes Monday and Tuesday and Today. At the end of my run all 3 days, Smart Training had zero steps and zero miles, but it did mark the time. This morning, I started Smart Training and watches it as I ran. The GPS was not working and it was not tracking me. I restarted the droid and the app. No luck. I was beginning to think my Droid was malfunctioning. I tried to uninstall the Mobile Security App and apparently do not remember the password. I used a Task Manager and shut the Security App down and tried Smart Training again. It began working again just as it always has.
I know this is a long post, but there are a LOT of issues I have found with this product. As I type this now, I am not running any anti-virus software because I was unable to get to this web page. I have also had several emails that I have sent to people fail to actuallly reach them even though it seemed to successfully send on my end. I am not sure this is related at this point, but the other issues are definately issues with WebRoot SA and Mobile Security.
I am willing to work with you guys to resolve these problems, but if we can't resolve them pretty quickly I am going to have to ask for a refund and will return to the bloated AVG Free I was using.
Looking forward to your response.
Best answer by JimMView original