openfire.com

• 16 September 2015
  • 8 replies

Badge +1
Openfire.com is a redirecting website. Sometimes to HP, sometimes to a reputable website but more often than not your speakers will announce you have a virus along with a pop-up that directs you to call tech support to remove it. Obviously bogus!
The pop-up is difficult to remove and you have to end task. This happens on all browsers so far.

On a home instalation the whole screen is blocked by webroot,

On my clients Webroot installation there is the occasional pop-up. It doesn't always work!

Has anyone else had problems like this?

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Thanks for posting over here too. For some reason even though the site is in our database, the site is managing to elude our defenses through its redirects. We are working on updating the business version to use the database and system that the consumer one is using, which will resolve this issue.
Badge +1
Nic,
Thanks for the quick reply.

The reason I am posting here (as well) is because I need to call Webroot to action. This should have been fixed six (6) days ago when I first mentioned it to tech support.

I dont need to hear how many databases you have or that you are working on merging them. WE (the business community) really need to see results and it isn't happening.

I am hoping this is a hiccup and not normal practice for Webroot.

Mark 
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Agreed - in the meantime you could block it at the firewall or in the hosts file.
Badge +1
Yes I could, I agree. I also have a hundred computers I need to act on for different clients. This is why I pay for centrally managed software so we don't have to do connect to each one and modify the hosts file or firewall.

Do we need to do this everytime a malicous website or virus is found?
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
No - this one is unusual in being able to bypass the filtering.
Badge +1
Yet you manage to block it on the home users version. You can defeat it, that has already been proved. Duplicate it!
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Lol, just hit the easy button right? :)

We tested the new version on the consumer side first so that we could all the bugs out of it. Last thing we want to do is roll out a new feature that disrupts your workplace. We also have to QA it on the business endpoint thoroughly to make sure it works as well in that environment as it does on the consumer side. You know how it goes.
Badge +1
Nic,
I understand the process very well indeed.

I was informed of Openfire.com via a colleage and decided to test on my home PC. Webroot blocked the site and I was satisfied I was protected. On the 9th September I logged onto one of my clients and decided to test Openfre.com. No blocking whatsoever! I then informed tech support of the problem.

You are telling me R and D was able to protect home versions but after six more days of testing you are still not able to protect business.

I am being conservative here because I informed R and D six days ago. I am sure they were working on it before then.

Nic, I don't want to argue I want a solution and surely I am not the only one here.