I will input the key code manually in the old console, they will appear briefly in the console for the key code they have been changed to, but they still report the old key code, so they eventually reappear in the old console.
I'm also having issues with one endpoint where I'm checking the GUI on the endpoint, sending the command to change the key code, checking in the GUI that the new key code is showing after refreshing the configuration, running a scan, then the key code is reverting back to what it was originally.
I'm starting to tear my hair out. Please can anyone help?
Best answer by nicView original
We're just about to migrate 1400 clients and faced this issue on the fist test I did.
Did this issue get resolved?
\ Andreas Stepan
I've actually been doing one machine at a time, and it still happens
I'd just like to add my 2 cents to this as I was told how unusual it was and that it happened to no one else when I raised this as a support concern :-)
You would send the new code via the change keycode agent command, then the endpoint would move to the new console, stay there briefly, then move back!
Eventually we got all of them moved across, but it was a struggle because the command would time out and you'd have to try again and again.
That was a post I put up a couple of weeks ago actually ;)
Thank you anyway. I may not have to worry about the one machine, as it is due to be decommissioned soon, but I would be interested to discuss the strange key code behaviour.
Regards, hopefully someone can assist here for you!