Question

Problems with WRusr.dll and Chrome

  • 1 March 2021
  • 3 replies
  • 247 views

There are many copies of WRusr.dll in the C:\Windows\Temp folder with names like WRusr.dll-20390-1.tmp.  Here is a list of them from one laptop:

 

Mode                LastWriteTime         Length Name
----                -------------         ------ ----
-a----        11/5/2020   5:05 PM         225736 WRusr.dll-10500-1.tmp
-a----       11/26/2020   3:02 AM         270680 WRusr.dll-1144267656-0.tmp
-a----       11/26/2020   3:02 AM         225736 WRusr.dll-1144267656-1.tmp
-a----        1/12/2021  11:43 AM         270680 WRusr.dll-140687-0.tmp
-a----        1/12/2021  11:43 AM         225736 WRusr.dll-140687-1.tmp
-a----         3/1/2021  11:36 AM         270680 WRusr.dll-20390-0.tmp
-a----         3/1/2021  11:36 AM         225736 WRusr.dll-20390-1.tmp
-a----       11/26/2020   3:02 AM         270680 WRusr.dll-23296-0.tmp
-a----       11/26/2020   3:02 AM         225736 WRusr.dll-23296-1.tmp
-a----       11/10/2020   2:54 PM         270680 WRusr.dll-23875-0.tmp
-a----       11/10/2020   2:54 PM         225736 WRusr.dll-23875-1.tmp
-a----        2/27/2021   3:01 AM         270680 WRusr.dll-25125-0.tmp
-a----        2/27/2021   3:01 AM         225736 WRusr.dll-25125-1.tmp
-a----        1/12/2021  11:43 AM         270680 WRusr.dll-25406-0.tmp
-a----        1/12/2021  11:43 AM         225736 WRusr.dll-25406-1.tmp
-a----         3/1/2021   2:28 PM         270680 WRusr.dll-27406-0.tmp
-a----         3/1/2021   2:28 PM         225736 WRusr.dll-27406-1.tmp

 

These files can’t be deleted as long as the Webroot Secure Any Where software is installed.   

 

This is causing a problem with Google Chrome.   When you open chrome, it hangs and never opens fully.  If you analyze the chrome.exe process using some tools from SYSInternals, you can see it is trying to access one of these WRusr.DLL files from the temp folder.    Chrome shows in the list of processes in task manager but never fully opens.   If you click the Chrome icon 5 times to open 5 Chrome windows, you might get 1 or 2 that open and the rest just hang forever and never appear.   It gives the appearance that Chrome is broken but it can be made to open if you try enough times.     The end result is the user calling into the helpdesk to report Chrome bring broken.    

 

We have 20-30 computers out of about 300 with this issue.   All Windows 10 Pro with WRSA installed and Google Chrome.    All three products current on Updates.

 

So far our fix process has to been to uninstall Webroot, reboot the PC, delete the WRusr.dll files from the C:\Windows\Temp folder, reboot again, and re-install Webroot.   We do this 5 or 6 times a week and have been doing so for maybe 7 months.      I am tired of this and I want an answer from Webroot as to what is going on.   

 

We contacted support about it in November of 2020 and they suggested we whitelist the MD5 hash of the DLL file.   That is not an acceptable solution as the MD5 has changes on this file.  Also, when we tried that, it didn’t make any difference at all.

 

These files are also causing a problem with installing other software.  There is constantly a list of them in the “PendingFileRenameOperations" key under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager which causes a lot of software installations to fail saying that a reboot needs to be done first.  However, since the files can’t be deleted as long as Webroot is there, they never go away.

 

Anyone?

 


3 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

I agree, it's an annoying work around but it does work. I subscribe to the update notifications for Chrome just so I can keep the MD5 updated.  

Open a support case through your console and tell them you're willing to help test.  They offered that to me the last time I wrote to them about this issue.  

This is a known issue for support. They are working on a new release now and are looking for beta testers, if interested. 

 

 

I am willing to test if it helps.  This is driving us crazy.

 

The MD5 has for Chrome is not a good workaround either.  Chrome updates every week or two.

 

 

 

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

This is a known issue for support. They are working on a new release now and are looking for beta testers, if interested. 

Otherwise the work around is to take an MD5 hash of the chrome.exe file (not.the DLL). Then take that MD5 and set it to allow in ID Shield.

 

To Allow Chrome through the ID Shield:

1. Sign into your Webroot console and click on the "Endpoint Protection" tab.
2. Click "Group Management."
3. Select "All Endpoints".
4. Choose "Agent Commands".
5. Choose "Identity Shield".
6. Choose "Allow application" and enter one of the MD5s.
7. Repeat this process for any additional MD5s.

Following the steps above should allow Chrome to be opened as expected.

 

The downside to this work around is that every time Chrome updates, the MD5 changes. Hopefully this will be a short term fix and they'll push out a patch soon.

 

 

Reply