Refresh configuration -- what does it do?

The default polling setting of one day is fine for normal operations.  But when one is troubleshooting, being able to immediately reset a policy item would be helpful.  

I was hoping that the Refresh configuration option of the client agent would take care of this, but I don't see that happening.  

When I run that on a client (open Webroot system icon and right click) I get the following message:

"You are currently using the newest Secureanywhere software.  With this version, Secureanywhere automatically updates the software and no longer downloads threat definitions.  Threat protection is now performed "in the cloud" and is always up to date"

That leads me to beleive that Refresh configuration doesn't do anything and that I need to rely on the polling interval for configuration changes to take place.  Is that correct?  If so, is the only way to address this to create a policy that polls faster and move systems to the group?  

Thanks.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi!

Last time I checked (Managing 300 computers at a school), it does also refresh the configuration at that time. The message that pops up is a very generic message for folks who want to see something and feel "It did something and I didn't just click for nothing":

If you are not certain, rather than having to worry about a feeling, set a configuration setting that you can immediately see the effect of and refresh. In my case, it was used to immediately hide the system tray icon and it definitely worked.

If you set an immediately-obvious configuration change and the refresh does not put it into effect within five seconds, you'll want to contact support, as that's not expected behavior.

Stay well!
Userlevel 7
Badge +33
Refresh configuration does indeed work.

If you want to set a policy, you can set the interval for as low as 15 minutes.

Also if you want to ensure that an endpoint agent gets the changes, you might want to make the policy change, apply it and then immediately send a scan command to the agent right after. This can sometimes ensure the changes are taken by the agents.

John
Userlevel 7
Just as a note:
Sending a "Scan Now" command to the client will have no effect to cause it to poll. It simply causes the polled data to include "Oh, yes, and also scan."

However aside from the context menu method, the client will also always poll on startup. This means that either shutting down and restarting the client (which is not always possible) or rebooting the computer will cause it to poll for configuration changes.
Thanks everyone.  Good info.