Solved

Suspicious message when starting desktop in Window 8

• 19 October 2013
  • 2 replies

Whenever I start desktop in Windows 8, I get the following message:  There is a file or folder called c:Program which could cause certain applications to not function correctly.  Renaming it to c:Program1 would solve this problem.  Would you like to rename it now?  The options are rename or ignore.  Where is this message coming from, is it dangerous, and how do I get rid of it.
icon

Best answer by Jack 19 October 2013, 13:05

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 4
Hi,

c:Program could actually be Webroot, we have a feature that on an infected PC the installation will randomize the file name, I've seen it a few times though not recently, where this process malfunctions and you end up with a file called c:program with no filetype extension and windows doesn't like it.

To resolve the issue you have reported you will need to uninstall and reinstall Webroot SecureAnywhere using some special steps. Please follow the instructions below.

Part 1: Rename "Program"
1. Follow the correct steps for your Operating System.

Windows XP:
• Click Start, then click My Computer.

Windows Vista/Windows 7:
• Click Start, or the Windows icon, then click Computer.

2. Double-click Local Disk (usually C: )
3. Scroll through the list to locate "Program".
4. Right-click Program and choose Rename.
5. Append the file extension ".exe" to the end of the filename, so that "Program" becomes "Program.exe".
6. Press Enter. You will notice that the icon for Program has changed.

Part 2: Uninstall and reinstall Webroot:

1. Open your Start menu.
2. Click Programs or All Programs, then navigate to the Webroot SecureAnywhere folder.
3. Under Webroot SecureAnywhere, open the Tools folder, then click Uninstall Webroot.
4. Click Yes and follow any prompts that appear.
It is not necessary to reboot your computer after uninstalling Webroot. To reinstall, click the link below to download the latest installer.
http://anywhere.webrootcloudav.com/zerol/wsainstall.exe
1. Save the file to your desktop.
2. Double-click "wsainstall.exe" to run the installer.
3. Enter your keycode when prompted.
4. Click Agree and Install.
5. If asked "Would you like to automatically import the settings that were used in your previous installation?", click No. Webroot SecureAnywhere reinstalls itself.

A scan may begin automatically, depending on how recently a scan was completed.

If you require further assistance, please don’t hesitate to let us know.

Jack
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
The message is legitimate. 
A poorly made program created a folder named "C:Program" which can cause problems with shortened paths.

Upload a screenshot of the folder to imgur.com or type out a list here.