Trouble Uninstalling Webroot - RMM

• 7 June 2021
  • 0 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +24

I just wanted to share my own recent experience with uninstalling Webroot Business Endpoint Protection which has received a number of questions over the years and hopefully help someone out. This is the process that I’ve had success with and does require that your agents are checking into the Webroot console and your RMM tool (mine is ConnectWise Automate)

1. Adjust your policies so that agents check in as frequently as possible
  2. Tag the target agent(s) with the “unmanaged” policy. For off-boarding, etc., I use a separate group with the Unmanaged policy applied and just move the agents into that group and apply the new policy.
  3. Allow them plenty of time to check in and get the policy update.
  4. Issue the Uninstall Agent command from the console.
    1. We’ve had about a 90% or so success rate with this command. Some will report that the command has executed, but continue to check in.
  5. For instances where the console uninstall doesn’t seem to take, we then jump to our RMM tool for help. I stopped using the “Uninstall” feature from the Webroot Unity Plug-in, it just has not worked reliably enough for us to be worth trying. Instead we use the remote CLI (again, agents will need to be communicating with your RMM tool).
  6. I usually just try forcing the agent to check in to give the Webroot console one last crack at it:  “C:\Program Files (x86)\Webroot\WRSA.exe” -poll
  7. If that doesn’t work, I’ve had success at this point by running the following two commands
    1. takeown /F "c:\program files (x86)\webroot" /R /D Y
    2. "C:\Program Files (x86)\Webroot\WRSA.exe" -uninstall /s /q
  8. Once those run, if I refresh the software and services inventory in Automate, the service is gone and so is the software listing.

0 replies

Be the first to reply!