Unable to uninstall

• 16 March 2017
  • 5 replies

Webroot secureanywhere endpoint protection

doesn't show up in program  list to uninstall.

running manual command to uninstall giives error that  the service is centrally managed and must be uninstalled from webconsole.

The customer  does not have this info.  The customer does NOT have contact with last IT vendor (relationship ended badly).

How do I uninstall this borderline-malware, garbage software without formatting and reinstallinng windows?

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +33

Hey ,

The software isn't borderline malware/garbage. It's designed this way so that it can't easily be tampered with or have other programs be able to easily remove the software. That would, of course, leave it open to attacks.   You can go through a manual removal process by booting the system into safe mode and doing the following:

Try “C:\Program Files (x86)\Webroot\WRSA.exe" –uninstall from a Run command

1. Go into Services and set the following services to disabled. (WRCoreService, WRSkyClient, WRSVC)
  2. Look under Program Files and Program Files(x86) for any Webroot folder and delete
  3. Under ProgramData look for and delete the WRData folder
  4. Open an elevated command prompt with admin priv and run the following commands:
- "SC Delete WRSVC" (without quotes) and hit enter
- "SC Delete WRCoreService" (without quotes) and hit enter
- "SC Delete WRSkyClient" (without quotes) and hit enter
That'll remove the Webroot services 
5.Under ProgramData look for and delete the WRData or WRCore folders
6. Open regedit and under the HKEY CURRENT USER SOFTWARE find and delete the WRData key. 
7. And under File Explorer in C:\Windows\System32\drivers find and delete the following two files:
wrkrn.sys
and
wrUrlFlt.sys

That should for the most part remove Webroot from the system. Any remaining reg keys are harmless and can lay dormant. 

Hope this helps bud
Cheers
John Hart  

Hi,

I am having the same issues with my computer. I was able to remove all WRSA files from my Program Files, but not the Webroot files. I also got an “Access Denied” error when trying to run the administrator command to SC Delete WRSVC. Was also unable to delete the Reg data key. Any more suggestions? What bothers me is the pop-up every time I start my computer, which I then have to click “Uninstall” and exit out of the programs and features window (I installed the base Webroot program long ago). I checked under Systems and tried to disable the startup, but also got an access denied error here.

Userlevel 7
Badge +63

Hello @mgaynier31 

Webroot protects it’s files so that Malware can’t disable it either. After Uninstalling WSA go into Safe Mode and you should be able to delete the leftover files once uninstalled!

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12376/windows-10-start-your-pc-in-safe-mode

If you continue to have issue please Submit a Support Ticket and they will help you in removing WSA from your system.

Note: When submitting a Support Ticket, Please wait for a response from Support. Putting in another Support Ticket on this problem before Support responses will put your first Support Ticket at the end of the queue.

Thanks,

I have same issue and could NOT uninstall in safe mode

Userlevel 7
Badge +63

Hello @shavarra 

Go into Safe Mode and delete the C:\ProgramData\WRData Folder then reboot back into normal mode to see if it fixes your issue? In most cases it does fix this issue! https://community.webroot.com/webroot-secureanywhere-internet-security-plus-13/webroot-av-stopped-working-since-last-update-344929?postid=360708#post360708

Please let us know the outcome!

Thanks,