Update on Winlogin 4005 & Terminal Servers

• 11 November 2016
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +35
  • Retired Webrooter
  • 831 replies
Update on Winlogin 4005 & Terminal Servers:

Webroot has been actively tracking and monitoring an issue that affected some customers operating Terminal Servers in a virtualized environment.

Following intensive root cause analysis, Webroot is changing its recommended server defaults for any servers with protection and remediation enabled. Webroot now recommends that its Self-Protection function is set to ‘Minimum’ on all Server Policies.

Webroot’s in house, and external customer based testing has proven that changing this setting from Maximum/Medium to Minimum significantly reduces the frequency of Winlogin 4005 errors in most cases.

Our agent supports 3 self-protection settings. These settings offers a range of granularity to ensure that our software is compatible with the widest range of servers, enterprise environments, product mixes, operating systems, platforms, and browsers. Selecting ‘minimum’ still provides a high level of security but it best able to manage the different environmental behaviors generated in Server deployments whilst still providing the security and value expected from Webroot.

The Webroot development team continues to work to a solution that will reduce to zero, instances of Winlogin 4005 attributable to Webroot. It is expected that further code releases or recommendations may be required in the near term to reach that important goal.

We sincerely apologize for the extended time it’s taking to solve this complex fault and thank affected customers for your continued support, patience and understanding in this matter.

Kind regards,
The Webroot Team

4 replies

I have selected 'uninstall' from the web interface on Webroot for all my Terminal servers - this fixed the problems I was having logging in.

Do I now download the latest version of WebRoot and re-install and select 'recomended server defaults' will this apply the new settings? I do I need to select a protection level after applying server defaults?

Please NOTE I have a bunch of servers that are NOT virtualised that are having this problem.
Userlevel 2
Windows 2012 R2.
After setting to minimum the issue is still occuring.

Our problems are solved bij replacing Webroot for an other Virusscanner.
Please give us an estimate when the problems are being solved.
We otherwise have to deside to change to an other scanner for all our customers.

Userlevel 7
Badge +35

Please view the most recent update on this issue here: https://community.webroot.com/t5/Webroot-for-Business/Update-on-Winlogin-4005-amp-Terminal-Servers-November-17-2016/td-p/275978