Webroot and windows 10

Some observations on installing Webroot endpoint protection (v8.0.8.53) on a Windows 10 (build 10041) test VM....

The endpoint can't / won't check in to the console.  I basically have an extra license now ;)

Since the endpoint won't call home, it has not picked up our default policy.  The GUI will open, all controls are accessible from the user side (no bueno).

In our environment, windows firewall is turned off.  Webroot is most adamant about telling me this.  I click no when it asks if I want WR to keep monitoring the windows firewall.  Then, a few minutes later, it happily tells me that windows firewall is turned off...

Obviously, these are not pressing issues on my side, I just wanted to report the behavior I have seen from testing WR on a new OS.  I did not have WR installed on any previous Win 10 builds, so I have no idea if this was happening on earlier builds. 

20 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Thanks for the update - I'll pass that along to add to the bug documentation.
Badge +5
I spoke to soon.

The issue with Webroot complaining that "the Windows Firewall is currently disabled"  then asking if you want to "continue to monitor and alert" ... and IGNORING the response is present in both CONSUMER and BUSINESS versions of Webroot.

I am currently using the Business version, and being a developer, I have set my computer to "Unmanaged".  This way I can deal with the firewall and exclusions using the running Webroot interface.  At my previous job, we set the developers as "Unmanaged" also, so they could remove Webroot when needed to eliminate it when debugging a programming issue.

The result is, since I switched to "Unmanaged" I am being plagued by the same two dialogs.  

I am going to attempt to go back to the web interface and change my policy back to "Recommended Defaults" and add my exclusions.  (I am running some developer tools that the Webroot firewall blocks)  I'll post again if this does not work.

Badge +5
Okay.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
I think the minimum for the business version is a five user license - would it be ok if we made them all the business version? Let me talk to some people here and see if I can make that happen.
Badge +5
Sure, my current keycode expires Jan 14 2017, and it's on 5 devices.  I would only need one converted though.  If they maintain my account, I have an empty console named "Unnamed Console" that could be removed.   

I put the new code under "Work Console" and my 5 current devices are under "Home Console".  I have two "Expired" keycodes under my "Home Console" which can be deleted also.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Unlikely that a bug fix will be out for that issue in that time window.   Let me see if we can switch you over to the business version instead - would that work?
Badge +5
Okay, I have run the business version now for a day without a single alert.  The client side of the interface looks identical, while the web management looks quite different.

I have 2 consoles right now though.  The question is, I'm in a 30 day window before this expires.  Any chance there will be an update to the consumer version?  I am expecting that I will run the evaluation for it's 30 days, then end up switching back to my paid version.  At that point I will have to figure out what to do next.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Well give it a shot and see if it fixes the issue. If so then maybe we can see about getting you switched over to the business version instead of consumer and maybe convert the license so that you're not out of pocket.
Badge +5
My license is good until Jan 14 2017.

I am on an open contract, so I could be working here until then. How long is the trial good for? I'd be okay with running it until there is a fix, but not to jazzed about it expiring in 30 days and being right back to the alerts when I reinstall my license.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Just try grabbing a trial from here:
http://www.webroot.com/us/en/business/products/trials
that way you don't have to make another purchase.

I think your situation is a bit unique - in the SOHO businesses that use consumer, they are usually the ones who manage the rest of IT so they will leave the firewall on.  SMB and larger they're usually on the business endpoint version.  

If you're just wanting to demo it for the rest of your folks then the trial should give you what you need, and not give the firewall warning.
Badge +5
I could, although I don't know what good that would do. I don't own the business version. I would be more than willing to test it though, if it would facilitate the "fix" to the version that I do own.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Let me see what I can find out about the escalation status. I'm wondering if this is an issue due to using the consumer version in a business setting - normally the firewall is under the control of the consumer, so it's unusual to have it running in a business environment. Have you tried running a trial of the business endpoint version to see if it has the same issue?
Badge +5
Sure.

I did submit a ticket back on Aug 6th about this. This is the first time I have read somebody else having a similar issue. My concern is that this posting was done 5 months ago and has still been yet to be resolved.

This is the response I got in a nutshull:   

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Webroot Support (Aug 6, 2015 11:52) RE:Firewall Alert

Hello,

Thank you for bringing the issue you are experiencing to our attention.

The Webroot Development team has been notified of this issue and is currently working on a resolution. This issue is related to the infrastructure that Webroot uses and is not related to the program on your computer nor the computer itself.

Once a fix is deployed, the issue you reported should be resolved. No change to your system is necessary.
The only current workaround is to disable the Webroot firewall from the console.

Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience caused.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Don't worry, I understand your frustration - I hate popups myself, and having them be unfixable would be quite infuriating.

It looks like you have the consumer version, at least when I look up the email you use on your community profile - is that what's running in this case?

Probably the best thing to do is for me to have support contact you so they can work with you directly on getting this sorted out.  Would that work for you?
Badge +5
Webroot SecureAnywhere  Version 9.0.2.21

I am a computer programmer, working as a consultant, using my own equipment.  I own 5 licences of Webroot.  The company I am working with uses Vipre, and I have been trying to "show off" Webroot.

Again, I could put this in all caps, but I don't want to "sound" like I am yelling...

The dialog asks me if I want to continue to monitor the firewall..  I say "NO", and it persists to monitor and alert.  I highly doubt this dialog is supposed to be a "tease".

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
And this is using the business version of Webroot, I'm assuming?
Badge +5
I have no control of this. The network admin has some issue with the Windows firewall and uses just the corporate firewall. Again, I am powerless to change this.

The second dialog from Webroot, which comes after the alert, suggests that I can choose to NOT continue to monitor and alert on this issue. If only it worked I would be happy. I would think that this would be something that Webroot would want to fix.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Have you talked to your IT folks about it, and why they've turned off the firewalls?
Badge +5
It's been 5 months of these constant nag screens now!!!   The nags seem to come here and there, sometimes seconds apart, sometimes many minutes apart.

I am running Windows 10.  My company turns off my firewall via group policy.  I get these dialogs CONSTANTLY, and I am ready to throw Webroot out the window.

This one I answer NO, as I don't have the ability to enable Windows Firewall.  (I have tried YES also)

This one I answer NO, but Webroot KEEPS alerting me.

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Thanks for the feedback.  We have lots of folks trying out the consumer product on Windows 10, but you're the first here posting about the business endpoint situation.  I'll pass this along to the QA and escalation folks to look at.  We try to keep things running with the latest build, but since this new one just came out they probably haven't had a chance to go through that process yet.