Webroot Interference with Microsoft Office documents

Userlevel 3

Greetings Webroot Community!

I wanted to share a recent issue that we have been experiencing with some clients that use both Microsoft Office products, and Webroot Business Endpoint Protection. Recently, some of our users have reported that when they are trying to edit and save documents in Word and Excel they experience a pop up that advises them that they cannot save their changes because “another user” currently has the document open. We tried several different ways to get this error to go away, however each time we have had to uninstall and reinstall the Webroot agent on the client machines. 

Our working fix for the issue is to deactivate protection in our RMM portal, on the endpoint in the management console, and then uninstall the agent on the system locally through a windows command window using the following command: “C:\Program Files (x86)\Webroot\WRSA.exe” -uninstall

We then reactivate protection through our RMM portal, allow the agent to reinstall, and sign out and back into the user account. This has worked on all three of the incidents of this issue that we have had so far. Hopefully this post is helpful; I spent a couple hours trying to figure out what was going on the first time, and I hope that this post saves someone a little bit of time if they experience the same issue.

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +24

Thanks for the info - definitely interesting. 

If this does happen again I’m sure we’d love to collect some logs to try and find the issue causing this. 

https://www.webroot.com/us/en/business/support/contact

Userlevel 3

If this does happen again I’m sure we’d love to collect some logs to try and find the issue causing this. 

Thanks for your reply Tyler. We have a ticket open with Webroot support. What logs specifically would be helpful for you guys to have?

Userlevel 7
Badge +33

Although I’ve never seen this happen in over 10K endpoints deployed with various clients, I would like any findings posted here just in case something like this rears it’s head.

Thanks all

John

Userlevel 7
Badge +24

Thanks for your reply Tyler. We have a ticket open with Webroot support. What logs specifically would be helpful for you guys to have?

That’s good. I’ll get this over to Support and they can take a look and let you know!

Userlevel 3

That’s good. I’ll get this over to Support and they can take a look and let you know!

As an update for those interested, support / the escalation team sent us a new agent version to try out. I installed it on my own workstation this morning, and the next time an incident of this occurs, if it does, I am going to try installing the version they sent us to see if it clears up the issue. I’ll keep you all posted.

Userlevel 7
Badge +33

@jonwalsh 

Can you provide us with the agent version number  you are using? 9.xx.xxx???

Thanks

John

Userlevel 3

@jonwalsh

Can you provide us with the agent version number  you are using? 9.xx.xxx???

Thanks

John

John, the client that is experiencing this issue is running on v9.0.33.39

Userlevel 3

Today we had an endpoint experience this issue again and we installed the version of the agent that support provided to us. After installing the agent, we signed out of the users local profile, and back in, and we were able to recover the excel document that was being worked on and effectively save the document. This has cut our fix time on this issue from around an hour to around 10 minutes. The new version of the agent that support had us install was v9.0.33.41; we are updating our ticket with support now to let them know about our findings.

Userlevel 7
Badge +24

Thanks for the update @jonwalsh