Webroot Web Security Customer Notifications

• 13 September 2013
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +2
Hi Guys,

My name is Chris Saunders and I'm responsible for the Enterprise Support team here at Webroot.

I wanted to canvas opinion on a new way for us to notify customers when we have useful information about the service such as upgrades, service issues or hints and tips.

We're thinking of creating an RSS feed that customers can subscribe to, any updates we make would then be automatically downloaded to the users RSS reader of choice.

What do you guys think? Is there any other contact method you would prefer us to use?

Thanks in advance!

Chris

5 replies

Userlevel 5
Nice idea.

I think it will depend on the amount of notifications. If you have a lot of notications each week then yes, we'd probably would like to have something like a RSS feed for this.

If you have bi-weekly or monthly notifcation then I think I prefer email more as it's more of an issue when we get a notification then when you have multiple one's a week.

Maybe you can also post the notifications of the forum? Maybe under a customer group if you do not wish to bother everybody with that information.
Userlevel 3
Badge +8
Chris, I think maybe you need a couple of solutions. With respect to tips, hints, and updates email would be fine. If there is a service outage or a critical situation (security alert/major zero day issue etc) then a text message.

I check my texts first because that is where my high priority stuff goes, I get very few of them, and I get an audible alert on texts which prompts an immediate check. If I had an audible alert on my email my phone would be constantly making annoying noises and I'd have to drown it to shut it up. Email is a lower priority communication medium when it comes to urgent stuff.

RSS feeds are good for operational information, but not for response required information as a primary communication channel IMHO.

What about twitter/facebook and the other like tools. Many people go to those when issues occur looking for information - good way to keep people up to date with ongoing issues after initial alerts via text/email.

Wayne
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
Maybe you can also post the notifications of the forum? Maybe under a customer group if you do not wish to bother everybody with that information.
As a matter of fact, you can subscribe to either a topic or a forum as an RSS stream, so that would satisfy both requests.
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
we are in the business forum.
I would like to have these information on the Homescreen of my webconsole.
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
Hi,

Some great suggestions thank you. Sorry for the lack of update I got married 2 weeks ago and have just got back from Honeymoon!

I'm evaluating a couple of options and will report back in the next week.

Thanks,

Chris