What sort of bandwidth do you have at work?

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
  • Retired Webrooter
  • 6752 replies
I hadn't run a speedtest here at Webroot yet, but when I did I was impressed :)
http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3355512045

How about you guys?  What sort of speeds to you get at your work?

24 replies

Userlevel 5
the guy who was running things before we had a dedicated IT department got us locked into a ridiculous fiber contract, was originally 5x5, but I was about to upgrade it to 10 mb/s x 10 mb/s. Yea we had dedicated fiber to the premises for 5 mb/s/5 mb/s literally makes 0 sense and is a perfect example of why you don't let non IT guys make IT decisions.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
the guy who was running things before we had a dedicated IT department got us locked into a ridiculous fiber contract, was originally 5x5, but I was about to upgrade it to 10 mb/s x 10 mb/s. Yea we had dedicated fiber to the premises for 5 mb/s/5 mb/s literally makes 0 sense and is a perfect example of why you don't let non IT guys make IT decisions.
Wow, sorry you had to inherit that one!
Userlevel 5
unfortunately that's not the worst of what I'd inherited...
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
unfortunately that's not the worst of what I'd inherited...
That'll make another fun topic of conversation - what's the worst mess you inherited 🙂  
Userlevel 5
you should start it, I'm still trying to decide what's the worst of that I inherited...
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Done!

Now you can start thinking about which one is the absolute worst 🙂
Badge +5
Hi Nic,

We are running on a 1Mbps link for our business office, however the ISPs here in Namibia do offer up to 10Mbps.  Bandwidth is in our terms costly, because for 3G/4G one pays anything from N$ 1.00 to N$ 0.50 per Mbit depending on your contract and an ADSL link like ours rush you an easy N$ 1300.00 or N$ 8200.00 for a 10Mbit link. With the event that more users will eventually have access to Internet; cost will be shared and become more affordable. (We pay N$ 10.80 to one USD now.)
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
That sounds pretty pricy!
Userlevel 5
per google one USD = 10.79 NAD
Userlevel 7
I just ran a speedtest on my computer at work: Roughly 3.75Mbps download and 1Mbps upload. 

Not the best, but that's about all I need for here.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Well my home is my work! Plan 35/3 but get higher uploads at times around 70!

http://www.speedtest.net/result/3363595154.png

And we have speed bosst for the first 10MB.

Daniel
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
That's pretty nice @ - what do they charge you for that up in your neck of the woods?
Userlevel 7
Badge +52
Home

😃
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
That's pretty nice @ - what do they charge you for that up in your neck of the woods?

CAD

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Not bad, except for the bandwidth caps.  That's something I'll go out of my way to avoid, whether on mobile or at home.  I don't have room in my brain to keep track of how much bandwidth I'm using.  Although I hear in Canada those are pretty standard, unfortunately.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
Not bad, except for the bandwidth caps.  That's something I'll go out of my way to avoid, whether on mobile or at home.  I don't have room in my brain to keep track of how much bandwidth I'm using.  Although I hear in Canada those are pretty standard, unfortunately.
Yes I hate Caps as I watch Netflix allot but I get a notification in my Browser when I reach 75% then at 100% I haven't the need for extra Bandwidth and never paid extra I can go up one which is 45/4 and 170 Cap for $77.00 but I get better speed then I pay for now as the Central Box is on my front lawn so the Cable is not to long still waiting for Fibre Cable TV and all services I have with the same provider which saves money!
Userlevel 5
cant wait till google fiber gets down here...
Userlevel 3
Badge +8
I have a 10/100 pipe with 500GB of included bandwidth and I pay $90.00CDN a month. Work is home.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/3374599340.png

Wayne
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@Jacksun wrote:
I have a 10/100 pipe with 500GB of included bandwidth and I pay $90.00CDN a month. Work is home.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/3374599340.png

Wayne
Nice, that is a good amount of bandwidth for that price.
Hi
In our North America and Europe offices we have 40-100 Mbit /s.

However in our remote locations such as Middle East and Africa we have between 2-10Mbit/s with around 140ms roundtrip to US and Europe. Those remote links will accomodate in worst case 100-200 people on a 10 Mbit line for thousands of dollars. We try to do strict bandwidth management and WAN acceleration.

Some remote sites use optical links and microwave links, the latter adds further to latency. 

Hope that helps.
p.

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
Hi
In our North America and Europe offices we have 40-100 Mbit /s.

However in our remote locations such as Middle East and Africa we have between 2-10Mbit/s with around 140ms roundtrip to US and Europe. Those remote links will accomodate in worst case 100-200 people on a 10 Mbit line for thousands of dollars. We try to do strict bandwidth management and WAN acceleration.

Some remote sites use optical links and microwave links, the latter adds further to latency. 

Hope that helps.
p.

That sounds like a complicated setup.  I'm always amazed at the lengths people have to go to in remote areas where the infrastructure isn't that good.  What sort of industry are you in that you have such remote sites?
Hi these are power plants
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
Hi these are power plants
Oh cool - I guess backup connectivity is pretty important then!
Production in downstream energy industry like coal, lignite, gas, windmills and hydro electrical plants is designed to feed into the grid without the need for internet links in most cases. All sites are manned and we can buffer historical production data and upload it later once the link is up again.

But for upstream business like oil and gas exploration, gas storage, pipelines etc the communication links are quite often an important piece of the safety infrastructure and a prolonged disconnection may require the shutdown of production as a measure of precaution, depending on the setup. Especially in unmanned offshore and remote areas.