Windows 10 with microsoft wireless keyboards

Hello

We are having problem's with Windows 10, Microsoft Wireless Keybaord and Webroot causing Blue screen errors.
It Seems very random, no changers were being made?   
It just happens on one PC and they are all from the same image.
Uninstalling Web root or pluging in a wired keybaord fixes it.

Does anyone know why only on some PC's?

Andrew

17 replies

Userlevel 2
This issue is fixed in the latest webroot build 9.0.13.50
Do we know what patch is causing the issue so we can blacklist this please?

Thanks

Scott
Userlevel 7
Badge +7
Hi, sorry you are haviing difficulties.  I had the same problem with one of my systems and I used this fix.

Keyboard Fix Article

The link you are looking for in the article is: http://download.webroot.com/compatibilityflag.zip

Edit: I used an old wired (USB) keyboard to make the fix :)
 Then switched back to the wireless.

Good Luck,
Dave
We are having this exact same problem. Need fix from Webroot.
Userlevel 7
Badge +33
Best way to apply that CompatibilityFlag reg fix is to remove the wireless keyboard and mouse from the system (including the usb receiver), use a third party wired keyboard and mouse, install the driver, reboot, ensure everything is good, then shut down, remove the wired keyboard/mouse and the plug back in your MS keyboard and mouse and all will be good.

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
I just got confirmation that you do need to apply the fix even if the ID shield is already off.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Yeah it's a bit of a strange issue to begin with. From what I understand Microsoft did some unusual things with their keyboard drivers and encryption with this release, which is what caused our software to barf on it. Until we can fully figure out what they did we're stuck with just working around it. Another day of fun dealing with the 900lb gorilla 🙂
Userlevel 1
Fair enough, we'll try it.  It is weird that the top option is basically "identity shield on or off", but even if it's off, you can still change the other options.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Not completely sure, but I'd suggest just doing it anyway as a precaution.
Userlevel 1
Ok, another question:

We have Identity Shield Enabled = OFF in all our policies already.

Is it still necessary to add Identity Shield Compatibility mode = ON?
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Here's the version of the fix for the business product:
https://www5.nohold.net/Webroot/Loginr.aspx?pid=4&login=1&app=vw&solutionid=2545
Userlevel 1
Ok, for business machines (managed), there is no option to "shut down protection".

Is it enough to apply the registry fix and reboot?
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
We're working on it. It's one of those things that doesn't have an easy resolution. In the meantime we have a workaround:
https://www5.nohold.net/Webroot/ukp.aspx?pid=12&login=1&app=vw&solutionid=2544&donelr=1
Userlevel 1
This is still a problem almost 2 months later.  When will Webroot fix this??
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
My understanding is that there's two possible root causes and support needs to look at the logs to determine which it is. Otherwise I'd just post the fix here were it a simple one.
Apparently this is Webroot's issue.  Some research turns that up pretty quickly...

I installed Webroot on a PC today.. I immediately get Blue Screens when I touch the keyboard.

Using a wired Keyboard I'm fine.  Plug it in again.. I immediately blue screen.

Some combination of Windows 10 OS and Webroot SecureAnywhere.

Where is the global fix?  Why is it necessary to contact Webroot Support?

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Contact support - I believe they have a fix for this issue.