Solved

Can't update Webroot 9.1.0.144 on Mac Big Sur

• 15 November 2020
  • 6 replies

Couldn’t get Webroot to update from 9.1.0.144 before Mac Big Sur update, so updated to Big Sur then tried to update Webroot again. Both times, Webroot accepts my keycode, then Mac accepts my password for change permission, then it goes to an “Installing SecureAnywhere” screen with an “Installing SecureAnywhere” loading bar which only goes part way and freezes. It looks like I have the “Webroot Filtering Extension Mac” on Google Chrome already. Why won’t Webroot finish authorizing installation of the update?

icon

Best answer by TripleHelix 21 December 2020, 15:56

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +63

Hello @denmawalk 

You should have v9.1.4.123 installed for Big Sur see here with a Direct Download link: https://community.webroot.com/home-product-releases-27/product-update-mac-version-9-1-4-123-345361?postid=361697#post361697

Let us know how it goes!

Thanks,

Tried that link to 9.1.4.123 - it makes no difference whatsoever. I still end up on “Installing SecureAnywhere” with an “Authorizing Installation” loading bar that is frozen.

Userlevel 7
Badge +63

For things like this it’s best to Submit a Support Ticket and they will sort it out for you.

Note: When submitting a Support Ticket, Please wait for a response from Support. Putting in another Support Ticket on this problem before Support responses will put your first Support Ticket at the end of the queue. A reply from Support should take from 24 to 48 hours but could take a little longer because of COVID 19 and the Webroot Employees are busy working from home.

Thanks,

In response to the above…

As 2020 draws to a close (annus horibilus), I pause to reflect and share my experience.

Over the past year I made sure to update WebRoot SecureAnywhere (WSA) to the latest version. Updates were released on a monthly basis. Keeping WSA up-to-date is important, right from the start. I just want to thank the Webroot team for the updates and for their hard work this year during this pandemic.

When Catalina was released a year ago I waited about a month before installing so as to monitor for any compatibility issues with WSA. WSA for Mac users rode a rough wave with Catalina, mostly because Apple implemented significant changes to the macOS to move us to a fully 64-bit platform - and likely to prepare us for Big Sur. Many ran into problems updating and using WSA on Catalina, but I contacted online tech support, explained my situation, and they fixed my problem. They were very helpful. Later updates fixed many other bug fixes.

In my experience keeping the OS up-to-date each year is also important, so as to avoid having to catch up multiple versions, and to patch the security holes in the OS. Yes, it’s perfectly understandable and good policy to wait a month or so before updating the OS, and to monitor for any issues online.

Finally, I feel it’s also important to keep track of the age of the computer, and plan for replacement roughly after 5 years. You might be able to keep going for about 7 years or so, but it gets dicey. Not sure whether you noticed, but Apple and Microsoft phase out older versions of their OS but blocking or “bricking” updates. That sounds nasty, but maybe it’s not such a bad idea. Over time newer computers offer better hardware and new capabilities. Sure, keep the old computer if you like (as a second-hand backup), or retire it. But with a new computer, at least you get the latest OS version, and you start fresh.

Anyway, my two-cents worth.

This update is freezing at authorization. I have Big Sur 11.1 What should I do?

Userlevel 7
Badge +63

Hello @caboney 

For things like this it’s best to Submit a Support Ticket and they will sort it out for you.

Note: When submitting a Support Ticket, Please wait for a response from Support. Putting in another Support Ticket on this problem before Support responses will put your first Support Ticket at the end of the queue. A reply from Support should take from 24 to 48 hours but could take a little longer because of COVID 19 and the Webroot Employees are busy working from home.

Thanks,