Solved

Catalina Home User

• 4 December 2019
  • 11 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

Received an email from Webroot:

We are pleased to inform you that the Webroot product has been updated for macOS Catalina 10.15. If you plan to update to macOS Catalina 10.15, after you do so you will receive a pop-up that will guide you through the process of enabling the Webroot software. 

I performed the upgrade and there was not pop-up received after the upgrade.  Webroot shows as running on the Dock but I can not pull up a window to access it.  Tried to uninstall it and reinstall it but there has been no improvment.  Submitted a ticket to support who informed me to call.  I call and waited 35 mins of which no support person answered.  Can anyone help with the following:

#1 - How do I properly uninstall webroot SecureAnywhere in Catalina 10.15.1

#2 - Where can I obtain a copy of SecureAnywehre that is compatable with Catalina?

icon

Best answer by hurt bill 8 December 2019, 17:19

View original

11 replies

Same problem. Same questions!

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

@fab138  & @john_cornman 

Welcome to the forum.

Basic uninstall instructions can be found in reply #8 on page #2 of this post. (Thanks @ProTruckDriver!)

Note - this approach leaves some Webroot files behind. IOW, it is not a complete uninstall. To remove ALL files, and start with a ‘clean slate’ prior to reinstall, you will need to contact Webroot support, and have them perform an uninstall using Sudo commands. There is no charge for this service. 

When you try the basic uninstall (above), you MIGHT get a message that tells you: “The operation can’t be completed because you don’t have permission to access some of the items.” Should this happen, you can try an uninstall in ‘safe mode’. Instruction for this can be found in reply #2 of this post. (Thanks @Ssherjj!)

Note - this approach leaves some Webroot files behind. IOW, it is not a complete uninstall. To remove ALL files, and start with a ‘clean slate’ prior to reinstall, you will need to contact Webroot support, and have them perform an uninstall using Sudo commands. There is no charge for this service. 

If you cannot get either of these to ‘work’, or you would rather have Webroot help you ensure that it is done ‘completely/correctly’, contact support for help.  

I recommend calling support for uninstall assistance. When I needed to uninstall Webroot, I telephoned for free assistance in real-time. While the queue was 30+ minutes, the tech I spoke with was remotely able to remove my software in minutes.

Good luck. 

Userlevel 7

@john_cornman  @fab138  @BurnedByCatalina  This post goes into more detail with pictures on how to install macOS Catalina on a Mac:

https://community.webroot.com/macos-123/installing-webroot-secureanywhere-on-macos-10-15-catalina-341134

The uninstall I believe is still the basic, shut down WSA, Drag and drop application in the Trash, follow the instructions that follow after the drop into the trash.

HTH,

Dave.

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

@fab138  & @john_cornman 

Welcome to the forum.

Basic uninstall instructions can be found in reply #8 on page #2 of this post. (Thanks @ProTruckDriver!)

When you try the basic uninstall (above), you MIGHT get a message that tells you: “The operation can’t be completed because you don’t have permission to access some of the items.” Should this happen, you can try an uninstall in ‘safe mode’. Instruction for this can be found in reply #2 of this post. (Thanks @Ssherjj!)

If you cannot get either of these to ‘work’, or you would rather have Webroot help you ensure that it is done ‘completely/correctly’, contact support for help.  

I recommend calling support for uninstall assistance. When I needed to uninstall Webroot, I telephoned for free assistance in real-time. While the queue was 30+ minutes, the tech I spoke with was remotely able to remove my software in minutes.

Good luck. 

Thanks

Any chance you remember what the Sudo commands are? or know if Webroot has these posted somewhere?  Basic uninstall has not worked.

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

@john_cornman  @fab138  @BurnedByCatalina  This post goes into more detail with pictures on how to install macOS Catalina on a Mac:

https://community.webroot.com/macos-123/installing-webroot-secureanywhere-on-macos-10-15-catalina-341134

The uninstall I believe is still the basic, shut down WSA, Drag and drop application in the Trash, follow the instructions that follow after the drop into the trash.

HTH,

Dave.

Thanks Dave.  This install only works of the previous version has been properly uninstalled which I believe is my current issue.

Userlevel 7

The only place for Sudo Commands is at Webroot Support. They will not post them or send them to you by Support Ticket, I tried with no success on getting them. Webroot will do a remote on your computer and Sudo all files that need to be removed. Please DO NOT use any Sudo commands if any member posts on the forum. Let the experts at Webroot remove the files correctly.

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

Thanks

Any chance you remember what the Sudo commands are? or know if Webroot has these posted somewhere?  Basic uninstall has not worked.

@fab138 

Sorry. I never had the Sudo commands. Support used them to perform an uninstall for me remotely. 

I still recommend calling support for uninstall assistance. While the wait in the queue may be unpleasant, they will take care of you. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Thanks for the great answers @ProTruckDriver @BurnedByCatalina ,

They are correct - Support is the only department that will be able to do sudo commands for you. We’ve nailed down the main issues that people are facing with Catalina uninstalls/reinstalls so they should get you all sorted out!

If you have trouble getting ahold of them, PM me your ticket # and I’ll poke them for you. 

-Keenan

Badge +1

Successful transition from Mojave to Catalina -- a previous comment mentioned that the presence of the file WSDaemon prevented the download of the current version under Catalina.  This was on a system formerly running Mojave and WebRoot.  The WebRoot application had been deleted (supposedly).

Under Mojave the version of WSA was 9.0.10.162:1289 and among its installed files is a copy WSDaemon located in /usr/local/bin.  This is a root level directory accessible by enabling root file access -- many web sites offer means to set up root access -- most commonly done via Terminal.  From there the WSDaemon can be deleted.  As soon as that was done executing the install file wsamac.dmg worked.

Deleting the interference allowed the install file wsamac.dmg to connect to the internet and request the license key;  this proceeded with a download of the current version for Catalina which was 9.1.0.144:1289.

Having two machines, one running Catalina and the other Mojave showed the different locations for WSDaemon; since the root files are not normally accessed getting rid of the unwanted WSDaemon might not have been obvious .  This bypassed the hour or more wait to access the support phone line.

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

Successful transition from Mojave to Catalina -- a previous comment mentioned that the presence of the file WSDaemon prevented the download of the current version under Catalina.  This was on a system formerly running Mojave and WebRoot.  The WebRoot application had been deleted (supposedly).

Under Mojave the version of WSA was 9.0.10.162:1289 and among its installed files is a copy WSDaemon located in /usr/local/bin.  This is a root level directory accessible by enabling root file access -- many web sites offer means to set up root access -- most commonly done via Terminal.  From there the WSDaemon can be deleted.  As soon as that was done executing the install file wsamac.dmg worked.

Deleting the interference allowed the install file wsamac.dmg to connect to the internet and request the license key;  this proceeded with a download of the current version for Catalina which was 9.1.0.144:1289.

Having two machines, one running Catalina and the other Mojave showed the different locations for WSDaemon; since the root files are not normally accessed getting rid of the unwanted WSDaemon might not have been obvious .  This bypassed the hour or more wait to access the support phone line.

Thanks hurt bill.  That did the trick.  If I could select this as the answer to my question I would but it seems someone other then the person asking the question can select which best fits as an answer. (STRANGE)

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

@fab138 I went ahead and changed the best answer for you ;)