Solved

Gatekeeper

• 9 October 2020
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 1

Yesterday I installed a more recent version of Word. This morning when I turned on my computer I got the following window:

“Webroot Security had detected that the Gatekeeper protection level has been set to allow installation of all apps.”

Has my security been compromised? Nothing in Webroot dashboard seems to indicate this. How do I address this issue?

icon

Best answer by Ssherjj 10 October 2020, 00:14

View original

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

@Erik Brogger ,

Can you go to your Webroot console and check on that setting and send a screenshot of where it’s set to? You can increase the level of protection if needed.

Userlevel 1

I don’t know if I can do a screenshot off this old Mac desktop…!

Also, I don’t know how to get to the “Gatekeeper protection level.”

Thanks for any help you can give.

Userlevel 7
Badge +62

Hello @Erik Brogger 

Welcome to the Webroot Community,

Can you tell me what Mac OS you are running? 

“Webroot Security had detected that the Gatekeeper protection level has been set to allow installation of all apps.” 

MacOS has a feature called “Gatekeeper” designed to lock down your Mac, forcing it to only run Apple-approved software by default.

In older versions of macOS, you could disable Gatekeeper entirely from System Preferences > Security and Privacy. You’d just select “Anywhere” from the “Allow apps downloaded from” setting. You can change this by changing to App Store and identified developers. Make sure you relock the Preference Settings.

Hope this helps?

Userlevel 1

Thank you. I took your advice and I no longer get that notice on my screen from Webroot. After changing and locking as you suggested my question is: Have I in any way compromised my Webroot security now?

My  Mac OS is 10.11.6.

Userlevel 7
Badge +62

Hello @Erik Brogger ,

That is great to hear.

No I don't believe you have.  Webroot would of caught any malware if it existed. Has any new programs been installed without your knowledge? Is Word working good after that update? Webroot wouldn't be affected IMO.

If you want to have peace of mind then please do Submit a Support Ticket and they can tell you if you have any issues.. It's a free service with your Webroot subscription. 

HTH?

Userlevel 1

Thank you! Please forgive this question but how might I go about sending a support ticket, should I choose to do so?

Userlevel 7
Badge +62

Thank you! Please forgive this question but how might I go about sending a support ticket, should I choose to do so?

I  certainly apologize for not putting in that important information. 

Please submit a  Support Ticket  or  Contact Webroot Support  . 

Support Ticket System is Open 24/7

Note: When submitting a Support Ticket, Please wait for a response from Support. Putting in another Support Ticket on this problem before Support responses will put your first Support Ticket at the end of the queue. A reply from Support should take from 24 to 48 hours but could take a little longer because of COVID 19 and the Webroot Employees are busy working from home.

btw: I am running El Capitan on my Mac as well.:blush:

Userlevel 1

Thank you so much. You have been very generous with your time.

Best wishes,

Erik

Userlevel 7
Badge +62

You're most welcome Erik! My pleasure to assist. 😊