HIDE Webroot on startup for Mac

• 15 April 2021
  • 8 replies

Hi there -- I have two computers (one still on OS Catalina, one OS Big Sur) operating with Webroot. 

The Webroot window opens every time I turn on my computer. Maybe it sounds insignificant but it’s intensely annoying considering it should just be a background app you should never notice or see running ! 

In System Preferences I’ve tried adding it to “login items” and selecting “hide”... no-go. 

So I’ve removed it from “login items” entirely, but of course the app’s internal settings override this choice as the app is intended to run at all times … in the background :nerd:

Obviously I’ve un-checked “open at login” from the application while it’s in the dock, and removed it from the dock entirely. 

Yet every time I turn on my computer, there it is -- bouncing in the dock and opening its window -- until I manually close out of it. 

I’ve found many forums online of people trying to solve this issue with no resolution -- Surely it would be easy enough to code in a preferences option to choose “do not open any windows at login” ? This is a background app -- not something I need to look at every time I turn on my computer. I have several colleagues similarly frustrated by this. Please help! 

(This was the issue raised 4 years ago -- I tried everything suggested here) 

(Supposedly a feature request was made for this -- which was subsequently removed) 

https://community.webroot.com/t5/Ideas-Exchange/Close-hide-dock-application-on-Mac/idi-p/267808

This topic has been closed for comments

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hey there @maggiemaggie ,

I personally use Ccleaner to control “startup” apps - maybe give that a shot! https://www.ccleaner.com/

Once you have it installed, go to tools > startup > highlight webroot > Delete webroot from startup items.

Hope that helps!

Thanks @khumphrey

CCleaner appears to have had some security/data breach back in 2017 where the program was infected with malware (I don’t know much about it just found that in a Google search) … do you feel it’s completely safe to use now?? 

Cheers

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

@maggiemaggie  - huh I’ve never heard of that! I personally have never had issues using it. And if you have Webroot installed, you’re going to be protected regardless. You can always manually scan the installation .exe with webroot before installing.

Userlevel 7
Badge +63

@khumphrey  you should do some research: https://www.zdnet.com/article/avast-no-plans-to-discontinue-ccleaner-following-second-hack-in-two-years/

“This time compromising its main internal network in the process, and yet again, seeking to tamper with CCleaner releases.

However, despite being nothing but a source of problems, Avast says it has no plans to discontinue the CCleaner app for the foreseeable future.”

https://www.forbes.com/sites/thomasbrewster/2017/09/18/ccleaner-cybersecurity-app-infected-with-backdoor/?sh=46eda277316a

I still use CCleaner on my PC’s but only to clean out files and that’s it.

Thanks @khumphrey

CCleaner appears to have had some security/data breach back in 2017 where the program was infected with malware (I don’t know much about it just found that in a Google search) … do you feel it’s completely safe to use now?? 

Cheers

Yeah, they breached the update API I believe, allowing the ability to inject into all the affected machines. TBH though, after having used apps like this for years, I realized that most users don’t really know how to use them and they Can cause more harm than good if misconfigured or run Too often.

I realize the original message was posted a month ago, but I only noticed it today. 

I’m having the same problem.

The problem has been going on for more than a year. I did call tech support a couple months ago. They are aware of the problem, but it appears there hasn’t been any permanent fix. It’s not clear to me whether the startup problem on macs is due to the macOS (remember, Catalina and BigSur were fairly major upgrades, and Apple was moving the macOS to a complete 64-bit platform, which involves retooling of the software and dealing with macOS security settings).

Tech support will help anyone with this problem. Just put in a support ticket and clearly explain your issue. The current approach is to completely uninstall the Webroot and then re-install it fresh with the latest software update. Yes, the Webroot window will re-appear after you restart/log-in and start a scan. That doesn’t sound like a solution, but depending on the user, the software might just work fine after a re-install. You won’t know until to ask for help.

In my case, after logging in, I may have 2 simultaneous scans running at the same time. Just cancel one of the scans, and let the other go to completion. The multiple scan issue has also been observed by users and is known to tech support.

I urge users to report the issue where the webroot windows appears after logging in, and the multiple scans.

The software otherwise is working fine, and there is no need to worry.

Userlevel 7

I realize the original message was posted a month ago, but I only noticed it today. 

I’m having the same problem.

The problem has been going on for more than a year. I did call tech support a couple months ago. They are aware of the problem, but it appears there hasn’t been any permanent fix. It’s not clear to me whether the startup problem on macs is due to the macOS (remember, Catalina and BigSur were fairly major upgrades, and Apple was moving the macOS to a complete 64-bit platform, which involves retooling of the software and dealing with macOS security settings).

Tech support will help anyone with this problem. Just put in a support ticket and clearly explain your issue. The current approach is to completely uninstall the Webroot and then re-install it fresh with the latest software update. Yes, the Webroot window will re-appear after you restart/log-in and start a scan. That doesn’t sound like a solution, but depending on the user, the software might just work fine after a re-install. You won’t know until to ask for help.

In my case, after logging in, I may have 2 simultaneous scans running at the same time. Just cancel one of the scans, and let the other go to completion. The multiple scan issue has also been observed by users and is known to tech support.

I urge users to report the issue where the webroot windows appears after logging in, and the multiple scans.

The software otherwise is working fine, and there is no need to worry.

Sounds like a PITA running Webroot with macOS Catalina or macOS Big Sur. This should have been fixed a long time ago. :rage:

Hello,

WSA update 9.3.0.77 was released several days ago. (I am running macOS BigSur 11.4).

Scans no longer run immediately after log-in, and there no more multiple scans occurring simultaneously. However, the WSA window still appears after log-in. It could be that Webroot is working towards resolving this issue.

See my topic posted here today.