Solved

I cannot get Webroot to install on any newer Mac OS systems?

  • 8 December 2021
  • 7 replies
  • 585 views

Userlevel 1

So we recently partnered with Atera who provides webroot 1click installs on PCs, but Webroot installs on Mac machines is VERY problematic.  We have different versions throughout the organization and NONE of them are working properly.

 

I have a handful of 11.6 Mac OS, some 12.1 and am using the latest version provided by Webroot (9.4.1.27/WSAMAC.dmg) yet they all fail at the same place.  The user doesn’t get to provide full disk access during the initial install.  We circle back and grant the full disk access but the Mac endpoints are not showing up in my webroot console.  All of my PCs are in there without any problems.  I have tried that version on 11.6 Mac OS and 12.1 today.  They both *seem* to install, but none of them actually check-in properly.  These are in different locations so I know it isn’t a FW blocking a port or something to that effect.

 

I really need some help as we are on a deadline and have to choose between Webroot and BitDefender by Friday.  Some help would be greatly appreciated.

 

icon

Best answer by matthewsmallVP 9 December 2021, 19:12

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 1

One thing to note, is the 2 services seem to be running on the Macs, but users are unable to launch the console from their Mac devices and obviously they are not checking in with the console.

Userlevel 7
Badge +63

Hello @matthewsmallVP 

 

It’s best to contact Webroot Support directly. @macdonaldj 

 

Webroot Support:

Submit a ticket

Call 1-866-612-4227 during the week Mon - Fri 7 AM to 5:30 PM (MDT)

 

Thanks,

Userlevel 7
Badge +63

Also there is a newer version: Mac Version 9.5.0 (Released November 10th, 2021)  https://answers.webroot.com/Webroot/ukp.aspx?pid=12&app=vw&vw=1&login=1&json=1&solutionid=2023

 

But I’m not sure which version you need but support will.

Userlevel 1

Also there is a newer version: Mac Version 9.5.0 (Released November 10th, 2021)  https://answers.webroot.com/Webroot/ukp.aspx?pid=12&app=vw&vw=1&login=1&json=1&solutionid=2023

 

But I’m not sure which version you need but support will.

Where can i find that download?  I went to your link but don’t see a download area?  We will give it a shot today!  Thanks!!!

Userlevel 1

So it was the default policy in the console, it was set to silent so user can’t see the Webroot icon on their Mac or PC systems but on Mac devices it has to complete the initial scan (which is done manually via clicking on the icon), then it will check in with the console.  Mac devices are now showing up!  Weird default policy was the problem!

 

I ran into the same problem and it took me a while to figure out how to fix.  It appears the new Management Console doesn’t show what the default policy is, and doesn’t present any option to change it.

I finally figured out that by clicking the “Endpoint Protection Console” link on the dashboard of the new Management Console (within the Endpoint Protection summary box at top-left), it takes you to the OLD Management Console experience.  From there, you can click Policies and can see what the default policy is (small white flag in the leftmost column).  See above screenshot.

To fix, I copied the Recommended Defaults policy, which I renamed as “Permissive Defaults”.  Then in that policy, I changed the setting under User Interface > GUI from Hide to Show.  Then I set this new policy as the default.

After the policy default is changed, you need to re-install the Webroot Endpoint Protection app on your Mac.  I’m not positive what the best or easiest route to do this is, but the route I took was to take the commandline command out of this script: 

Specifically, I opened the DMG file in Finder, and then ran this line from that script in my Terminal (replacing the $KEY variable with my actual key): 

sudo /Volumes/Webroot\ SecureAnywhere/Webroot\ SecureAnywhere.app/Contents/MacOS/Installer -keycode=$KEY install -language=en -silent

The install command took about 15 seconds and then terminated.  It then took another 15-30 second delay before the Webroot SecureAnywhere software GUI opened up without being hidden, allowing me to click through the steps required to get a scan started, and which then registered the Endpoint in the Management Console.


p.s. - I may have also returned to System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Privacy > Full Disk Access, and re-authorized Webroot SecureAnywhere after running the install command.  I don’t remember clearly at this point if that step was required or not. 

Follow-up: I was informed by Webroot support that you can set the default policy in the new Management Console by going to Settings, then change the “Default Endpoint Policy” dropdown.

Reply