Solved

Webroot for Mac causing 100% CPU Usage

• 7 April 2020
  • 4 replies

Badge +1

When running Webroot on my Mac the WSDaemon consistently uses 100% of the CPU. The fans spin up and the system slows to a crawl even when doing basic tasks like web browsing. If I kill the process or reboot the machine everything is ok for ~15 minutes and then WSDaemon goes back to 100% CPU usage.

I’ve attempted uninstalling / reinstalling Webroot and that hasn’t helped. In addition I can’t get the Webroot window or menu bar icon to show up.

macOS version: 10.15.4 (19E266)

icon

Best answer by TripleHelix 7 September 2021, 17:12

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +62

Hello @jordanshute 

Welcome to the Webroot Community,

Sorry to hear you are having these issues with high CPU usage on your Mac. Would you please Submit a Support Ticket which is free of charge with your active Webroot subscription and they can get to the bottom of this for you?

Hope this helps somewhat?

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hey @jordanshute ,

I reached out to our support team about this and they said the following:

“you could see a higher CPU usage from WSDaemon if the agent is in the midst of running a scan. Macs are also kind of funny in the way they calculate CPU usage percentages. In Windows 100% of the CPU is representative of the calculated processing power of the CPU, whereas on Mac, you'll have processes sometimes running at over 100% CPU. This is a result of how Mac systems present CPU usage, as it's really looking at the usage on a single core as opposed to the usage across all cores at once. So for example, on a quad-core system the max CPU percentage available would be 400% (based on how activity monitor displays usage). Dual Core would be 200%.. etc etc”

Long story short - It’s very possible that this CPU spike is from a scan. But they’d love for you to reach out to them via ticket or phone to make sure everything is alright!

-Keenan

If Webroot is using significant CPU, such as 100% or more, shouldn’t I be seeing Bytes Read increasing at a steady rate?  I’m seeing “Bytes Read” increase at maybe 0.02 GB every 2-3 minutes.  Seems very very slow for such extreme CPU usage.

Userlevel 7
Badge +63

Hello @Flippo 

I would recommend contacting Webroot Support. When sending a Support Ticket a copy of Webroot's log gets sent automatically. 

Webroot Support:

Submit a ticket

Call 1-866-612-4227

Note: When submitting a Support Ticket, Please wait for a response from Support. Putting in another Support Ticket on this problem before Support responses will put your first Support Ticket at the end of the queue.

Thanks,