Despite comments I’ve read Webroot Secure Anywhere 220.127.116.11 :1563 is not compatible with OS Catalina 10.15.7. In my case Webroot is in constant scan mode and as it near completion is throws up an error message that's filled with coding. Once you close that the scan process starts again and I believe this problem is causing other minor issues although Webroot tech support have assure me my computer is still protected. When I last spoke to their second tier tech support they said they were aware of this issue which has affected some, not all, users and that a new release of Webroot would be released in late November 2020. That hasn’t happened and now I’m debating whether to upgrade my MAC Book Pro to OS Big Sur or wait till Big Sur has an update to iron out the initial bugs? Anyone else having this issue???
It’s best to Contact Webroot Support and they will help you sort it out.
Note: When submitting a Support Ticket, Please wait for a response from Support. Putting in another Support Ticket on this problem before Support responses will put your first Support Ticket at the end of the queue. A reply from Support should take from 24 to 48 hours but could take a little longer because of COVID 19 and the Webroot Employees are busy working from home.
I have had similar problems ever since upgrading my MAC to Catalina. I purchased Webroot through Best Buy and one of their techs recently told me that Webroot will not work unless I upgrade to Big Sur. Was on line with a very knowledgeable Webroot technician today and he stated that Webroot is most certainly able to function without a Big Sur upgrade. He then repaired my system and at the moment it appears to be working just fine. They does seem to be a few other minor bugs, which is a topic for another post, but the technician assured me that they are here to assist in correcting those problems. Must note that many of these problems were thrust upon Webroot, who I am told did not give much notice that they were updating to a 64 bit system with Catalina. I’ve lost many of my programs because of that upgrade, and I will avoid Big Sur at all costs.
I also purchased Webroot through Best Buy and when I first went to the Geek Squad with the problem I was having they said they could not fix it. I would have to contact a Webroot technician. When they couldn’t solve the problem it was escalated to a senior team member. He worked on the problem and went on to say that he had seen only a handful of similar cases which could not be solved. For Catalina the fix lies in a new Webroot release which was planned for Jan 2020 and has now been pushed back. The Webroot rep provides me with updates. He also advised not to upgrade to Big Sur until after their second release. He believes the same problem of compatibility will occur with the current Webroot and the first version of Big Sur. So its a waiting game which I’m not pleased by.
Must note that many of these problems were thrust upon Webroot, who I am told did not give much notice that they were updating to a 64 bit system with Catalina. I’ve lost many of my programs because of that upgrade, and I will avoid Big Sur at all costs.
I would have to disagree. There was a rumor before 2017 but it was announced in 2017 about Mac’s going to 64 bit. Sure Apple threw a monkey wrench in the mix on the Security side but Third Party Computer Security Companies knew in advanced to get their software to 64 bit.
I tend to agree that the third party security companies should have had the compatibility issue addressed far sooner. I don’t really want to move away from Webroot but on the other hand there has been a long delay in addressing the compatibility issue. I was first promised a new release in Nov 2020 then that was pushed to Dec 2020, then Jan 2021 and I doubt that date will be meet. The question I'm wrestling with is how long to wait before throwing in the towel on Webroot and finding another security product.