Solved

What is "system analyzer" ... and do I have a virus/worm?

I am not the sharpest knife in the drawer.  Too, neither do I know anything about Webroot nor do I know if I am posting this in the correct forum.  Hopefully, someone will run across this post and be able to help/answer.

Several months ago I was having issues with my internet connection and took my Win7 PC to Best Buy's Geek Squad.   (Turns out all it was was a bad ethernet card.)  While at Best Buy one of the Geeks installed a folder on my desktop called "Webroot System Analyzer."  (My assumption is that they were suppose to delete the folder before I left the store -- but they didn't.)  Anyway....

I have run "systemanalyzer.exe" (version 5.6.0.122) a number of times over the course of the past number of months.  The "analyzer" continues to show that I have a eight virus files on my PC.  These results posted below.

Viruses:8
  • Mal/20113544-A
  • Mal/FakeAvCn-C
  • Mal/Jafuzzo-A
  • Mal/JavaKC-P
  • Mal/JavaObBa-A
  • Mal/JavaObSnd-A
  • Troj/JavaBz-BG
  • Troj/JavaDl-AH
None of these files show up during my regular anti-virus (AVG), Malwarebyte, or Spybot scans.

While I don't know, I suspect one or more of several things:  systemanalyzer.exe is an old product, not compatible with Win7, and/or reports false positives.  Or (possibly and hopefully) systemanalyzer is finding remnants of a virus which I do know I cause some time ago -- and thought/think I got rid of.

While systemanalyzer continues to find these "viruses" the program has no option to delete/contain them.

My PC does not act as if it has a virus issue.  Both speed and performance continue to be very good.  I've just been curious about this "analyzer" program and its reported results.  Should I just delete the entire "Webroot System Analyzer" folder from my desktop -- and not continue to be curious/worried about it?

Help/input appreciated.  Thanks.

icon

Best answer by JimM 1 June 2012, 22:19

View original

14 replies

Userlevel 7
The System Analyzer is a tool created specifically for Best Buy, and you are correct that they should have removed it from your system prior to returning it to you.

Unfortunately, we cannot make a diagnosis regarding present infection status based off the results of that tool. Since it is a proprietary tool made for Best Buy, Webroot's own support has very limited experience in working with it. It is possible it may be displaying a total of all infections it ever found rather than an analysis of the present state. However, that is entirely speculation on my part. In order to get the best answer to your question, you would really need to bring this issue to the attention of the Geek Squad.
That is kinda what I figured, Jim. Thanks.
Userlevel 6
Badge +21
You can also double check everything by doing the 2 week trial period of the Webroot Antivirus...
Thanks for the idea, Virtualpb. I did try -- or at least I think I tried -- the trial download. Several things were confusing but I did download, install and run it .... and immediately uninstalled it.

No "bad" files were found ... but it scanned only a fraction of my files.

While I know virtually nothing about the Webroot product(s), I am not impressed.

As I suggested in my original post, I think I'll delete the Geek Squad installed folder and put this matter to bed.

To those who have read and replied, thank you. Nice to know the Webroot community has active, helpful folks around. Still, from what little experience I have, I am not impressed with the Webroot product.

Case/topic closed.
Userlevel 3
While it may appear that Webroot only scanned a fraction of your files, rest assured that we have not cut any corners with our efforts to protect your computer. The new Webroot product is revolutionary and unlike any other product: it does not rely on traditional definitions at all to make its determinations.  The existence of any particular file is less of a concern than the file's behavior and how it interacts with your system.  So only files that present risk are examined.

This topic has come up many times due to a popular misconception that a fast scan is somehow less thorough. Before you conclude that you are completely unimpressed with Webroot SecureAnywhere, please read the article in our forum that thoroughly explains our revolutionary new product. This article will help you better understand how it works, and why it appears to only scan a fraction of your files.

Please https:///t5/Rumors-and-Myths/Fact-or-Myth-Older-slower-antivirus-software-is-better-and-more/td-p/4927 to read the article.

Thanks!!
Userlevel 7
George and Jim are very accurate in this case.  System Analyzer, and especially in your case, such an old copy, will be looking through -everything- 100% for things that might even possibly be remnants of things.  Text files or log files that refer to prior problems will be detected by that old version of SA. 

Even the other software packages you have will never look that deeply, as even they are close to getting smart enough to realize that a log entry referring to a prior infection is nothing but that.  They don't even look at those logs.  Though they still do look at a ton of files that are not necessary to look at.  Seriously, your music or photos that have no machine code in it can't ever be an infection.  There's no reason to scan them over and over.

Rather than not being impressed by the lack of numbers (OMG, I looked at all your photos for you!  And I counted EVERY registry key I looked at!), you could join the thousands of highly-knowledgeable people who recognize that in real life, it protects better than anything else out there "despite" scanning so fast and so few files.  That plus its fast scanning means you don't have to worry about your AV program on a constant basis.  You can actually use your computer as a computer for things other than securing said computer.
Actually, Webroot System Analyzer version 5.6.x.x is the most up to date version provided for Geek Squad from Webroot... the definitions are also updated daily, so even if the program is out of date, the spy definitions aren't.

In regards to what was found, yes, the scanner finds every trace and key that relates to an infection, even sometimes those that have already been quarantined, so there's probably no worry about what it found.

Also, the program technically isn't installed, it's just a couple files, so deleting the folder on the desktop does remove the program.

Kit, if you have any say in the matter, or you can push up some comments, we at the Geek Squad would appreciate an updated product to use other than System Analyzer (v5.6), since SecureAnywhere is now v8...

Finally, Webroot is a really great product, and is remarkably fast, and all the other major Antivirus companies are rushing to copy their style.
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
Actually, Webroot System Analyzer version 5.6.x.x is the most up to date version provided for Geek Squad from Webroot... the definitions are also updated daily, so even if the program is out of date, the spy definitions aren't.

In regards to what was found, yes, the scanner finds every trace and key that relates to an infection, even sometimes those that have already been quarantined, so there's probably no worry about what it found.

Also, the program technically isn't installed, it's just a couple files, so deleting the folder on the desktop does remove the program.

Kit, if you have any say in the matter, or you can push up some comments, we at the Geek Squad would appreciate an updated product to use other than System Analyzer (v5.6), since SecureAnywhere is now v8...

Finally, Webroot is a really great product, and is remarkably fast, and all the other major Antivirus companies are rushing to copy their style.
I'll take a peek at that when I get back into the office or forward it to somebody who can.  I know some things off the top of my head, but I need to check on the details before I can say anything.
Spidy, thanks for chiming in on System Analyzer. We appreciate your dedication to our products. System Analyzer has been around for a long time and its due some improvements. I have good news on that front and have had some recent discussions with the Geek Squad tools team about System Analyzer. We intend to deliver a Webroot SecureAnywhere(WSA) based System Analyzer. We want the Geek Squad to have access to the best and FASTEST tool ever. Its in development now so spread the word to your fellow agents and stay tuned. 
Excellent, glad to hear that. Sometimes running SA is the slowest part of the ordeal - or at least it feels that way cause it's one of the last things we do. It's the scanner we run at the end to verify that the OS is virus free (yes, Geek Squad uses Webroot as their final proof of a job well done)
Userlevel 7
Spidy, I think you will like the new stuff then.

The general information I have heard is "Geek #1 and Geek #2 both stared open-mouthed at the results of the demo that was given."  I just took a quick peek and downloaded a current copy of the new SA, which I have not actually looked at before. 

Scan completed in 1:02 (Minutes and seconds, not hours and minutes).  The summary report is useful and shows at a glance what's up, while the detailed report is a metric ton of information on just about everything.  Seriously.  It even knew it was being run on a VM.  If I could give you a sneak peek, I would, however I can at least say that when you get this, you will either be staring in shock and awe, or bouncing giddily.

Stay tuned, I think you will very much like this.
EXCELLENT!   I understand you may not be able to share, but is there or have you heard an ETA for this? weeks? months?
NVM, just saw that webroot just got a spot on the GeekSquad private forums, and there's more info there now! See you there
Userlevel 7
Good news!  The new version of System Analyzer is available.  Check out our post about it here.
The GeekSquad internal forum has some info posted for you over there from Cat and Brian as well.  🙂