Question

Minbox "Weather Forecast" iOS Malware

Userlevel 1
Badge +8
I just removed malware from my iPhone. I have no idea how this happened. I was hoping someone here could tell me how to prevent it from happening again.

A new Email Inbox/account “My Accurate Forecast” mysteriously appeared a few days ago on my iPhone. I didn't notice it until dozens of SPAM emails started showing up as new mail.

It somehow inserts itself into your iOS Mail app as a new mailbox with a name from a random list of bogus “weather forecast apps”. Your box fills with SPAM shortly thereafter.

To remove it you locate a mysterious iOS Profiles config entry under Settings->General.
Look below legitimate profile entries (such as "iTunes Wi-Fi Sync" and (maybe) "VPN"). If you are infected you will see a third item "My Accurate Forecast" (or perhaps “Weather Radar 24”, etc.) .

Here is a Google photo album with pictures of these scary settings (new IMAP references, root certificate, etc)

Minbox "Weather Forecast" iOS Malware
https://photos.app.goo.gl/QE3SeqYn1q6WAiXF7

Thanks

iPhone X 256GB
iOS 12.1.2
Not Jailbroken

0 replies

Be the first to reply!

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept or continue browsing you agree to our cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings