When I try to scan I get a "preparing to scan" message but it won't start scanning. What can I do?

• 1 June 2015
  • 4 replies

Anyone know why I can't scan as it just keeps saying "preparing to scan?

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hello @,

Welcome to the Webroot Community,

Are you running a Mac OS? Because if you are then have you tried a reboot of your system?

Please get back to me after you reboot. If it still does this.. then we might need to do a clean reinstall of Webroot or you can also submit a Support Ticket free of charge and they will look into this for you.

Kind Regards,
I get exactly the same thing (IMAC).  I run weekly automatic scans but something popped up today so I tried to run a scan and got stuck on "preparing".  
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hello @,

Welcome to the Webroot Community,

As I've mentioned in my last post have you tried to reboot your Computer IMac? If it still saids preparing to scan then please let us know. Usually a uninstall/reinstall will fix this.

But if you think youi have something in your computer from a popup. Them my best advice is to submit a Support Ticket free of charge with an active subscription so they can check your system out.

Please let us know how you are doing after a reboot won't you?

Kind Regards,
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hi @,

Would you do a Permission check?

The Mac operating system relies on permissions for most tasks. If these permissions are incorrect, they can cause a variety of issues, both with your programs and with computer performance itself.

To check permissions on the Mac OS:
1. Navigate to Applications > Utilities > Disk Utility.
Note: The Disk Utility feature is advanced and powerful. Any action you take using the Disk Utility is at your own risk. We recommend you only use the Disk Utility under instruction by a qualified technician.

2. Click the Hard Drive name, e.g. Macintosh HD, in the left panel.

3. Under the First Aid tab, select Show details.
4. Click Verify Disk Permissions. This operation may take some time to complete.

5. If the operation finds permissions issues, fixing them can resolve the issue you have reported. Click Repair Disk Permissions. This process may also take time to complete.

6. Once the repair process is finished, restart your computer.

7. After restarting, please test the issue you have reported.

Thanks,