Access Control Setting on cell phone

• 10 December 2017
  • 3 replies

Badge +1
I have a Samsung galaxy s5 cell phone. For some reason in the settings of the phone under "Accessibility" in the services section, Webroot goes from on to off. Why is this happening? When this happens Webroot tell me that I am not secure. I then go to settings and turn Webroot on.

Thanks for your help. 

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +63

So this original post was FIVE years ago. How come Webroot is still asking me to turn accessibility on when I want to use Webroot for Chrome on my Android phone?

If I allow it, my banking app will not run and I get a warning that it will only run when accessibility is turned off completely or the app demanding accessibility - in this case Webroot -  is uninstalled.

This is, frankly, disturbing. I faithfully follow the bank's instructions. It seems they have correctly identified accessibility as dangerous.

So, for me, Webroot for Chrome is dead. Unusable.

It seems odd that Webroot, a company selling security software should want to use accessibility, elsewhere described as "Android's Biggest Security Problem".

And considering that accessibility is involved in Google Play Store, why would I follow the recommendation above to download an alternative to Webroot for Chrome from Play Store? 

This all seems very messy. Any thoughts, anyone?

Are you up to date with the Webroot app it’s 7.2 at this time:

It’s best to contact Webroot support for Direct help:

Webroot Support:

Submit a ticket 24/7/365

Call 1-866-612-4227  during the week Mon - Fri 7 AM to 5:30 PM (MDT)

Note: When submitting a Support Ticket, Please wait for a response from Support. Putting in another Support Ticket on this problem before Support responses will put your first Support Ticket at the end of the queue.

Please let us know the outcome!

Thanks,

Userlevel 3

So this original post was FIVE years ago. How come Webroot is still asking me to turn accessibility on when I want to use Webroot for Chrome on my Android phone?

If I allow it, my banking app will not run and I get a warning that it will only run when accessibility is turned off completely or the app demanding accessibility - in this case Webroot -  is uninstalled.

This is, frankly, disturbing. I faithfully follow the bank's instructions. It seems they have correctly identified accessibility as dangerous.

So, for me, Webroot for Chrome is dead. Unusable.

It seems odd that Webroot, a company selling security software should want to use accessibility, elsewhere described as "Android's Biggest Security Problem".

And considering that accessibility is involved in Google Play Store, why would I follow the recommendation above to download an alternative to Webroot for Chrome from Play Store? 

This all seems very messy. Any thoughts, anyone?

Userlevel 7
Badge +7
Hi @,

I'm sorry to hear you've had issues with our Android app.

Webroot will no longer use Android’s Accessibility service after the next app update, version 5.0.0.10759.  That means once your app is updated, this issue will no longer occur.

On devices like yours, Webroot used the Accessibility service to block any malicious or phishing sites when browsing in Chrome (and any other browser that comes pre-installed devices).  We are looking for other ways to provide this protection.  In the meantime, you can get the same website protection if you browse the internet using Webroot’s SecureWeb Browser app.  You can download this app from Google Play:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.webroot.secureweb&hl=en

Kind regards