Android Beta Feedback - Spring 2017

Show first post

143 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ with the new release what do we do now with the Beta? https://community.webroot.com/t5/Product-Releases/Product-Update-Android-version-4-2-0-8067-June-19-2017/m-p/295525

Thanks,

Daniel 😉
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Good question Daniel. .I was thinking the same thing yesterday and thought we would of been updated if something had changed. 😉
Userlevel 7
Badge +7
If your device is offline for one of the scheduled scans, it will skip that one and try again during the next scheduled time.  Is it possible your device was offline at the time?
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
My old PC crashed so I am having diffulties finding my way back to the right forum for reporting on the beta program for Android? My loginname was gone in the backups of logins for webroot forums. So it seems all my old creditials was lost? Pls advice.

Meanwhile a report on the latest verison that I installed this morning v 5.5.3.35435 it took a very long time to scan after installation, maybe 3-4 times as long as the one prior to this. The scan ended with an error message in a B/W box with an OK-button. Message: "Error code 1010 - client error". I had to press the OK-button four times before it vanished without finishing the scan. The next scan I tried some half hour later (did not touch anything in the AV) it went through with success, however about 2-3 times slower than the verision prior to this one.

My Android is v 6.0.1 on a four year old Samsung Galaxy SM-T705 3GB of Ram (41% free), 16GB built in SD (17% free) and 64GB on SD-card

Hello ChristianNissen,

Somehow we missed your post. Sorry for the late response.

Right now there isn't anyone to help with the Webroot Android Beta group. There are a lot of issues with the latest Beta right now. I was told it would be best to leave the Beta group by going to your Apps on the Google Play Store and look for Webroot Beta and leave the group and install the Webroot released version and that is what I have running on my Android now. This WR version of 5.1.2.27294 is running flawlessly. I'm sure we will be notified when they start up support for this Beta group. As you will have WR Technical Support for the released version if need be.

Hope this helps?

Kind regards,
Sherry
Userlevel 7
Badge +48
Hello Android Beta Testers!

We are releasing a brand new Android early access build and would love it if you could take part.

To join this Android beta

All you need to do is email Webrootmobilebetatest@webroot.com with your Google Play account email address and we’ll take it from there.

What we're looking for

We're testing improvements to threat detection. At first, we’ll be testing a new system of scanning, and later on we will add enhancements to improve scan results and app blocking.

The beta test will not send up any personal information.  We are only looking at how our app performs on a variety of devices.

As a beta tester, you are helping make our Malware protection safer for our millions of users. We do not take your hard work for granted so, we want to offer our special beta group (you!) a free mobile upgrade from your current app to the early access preview build. If you have any friends that want to sign up, feel free to invite them too!

Requirements

Android 4.4 or higher

Thank You!

Thanks for being willing to help out with testing. We appreciate the help - know that your efforts go towards keeping millions of people protected from malware.

Email us here to get started: Webrootmobilebetatest@webroot.com

Userlevel 7
Badge +48
@ THAT'S GREAT! Thanks!
Sent my "@gmail" e-address so you can add me to the test.
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
All set up for Android Beta 🙂 Webroot is installed and running! 
Userlevel 7
Badge +48
A big kudos to @ for chiming in and helping out! 

@ that pic is priceless haha. Love the Webroot cheeks. :) 
Userlevel 4
Badge
I have a Samsung Galaxy S-7 Edge... I have installed the beta app (don't know if it's new or old. lol)

I get a strange error message every day, 

You may be at risk
Insecure option enabled: Unknown Sources is toggled on.

I turn it off, but the next day it has been turned back on!  I don't know how it gets switched back on... but it does.

Wigg
"You may be at risk
Insecure option enabled: Unknown Sources is toggled on."

That's a pretty easy one: you have the option in setup checked so you can install APK files from anywhere other than the Google Play store.  You have to do that if you are a developer or even to "sideload" applications for Android from Amazon, for example.

It's a hole, but one almost everyone has "open".
@ wrote:
Hey BurnDaddy,

I checked as you asked and SecureAnywhere is selected under Device Admin.

Thanks, will continue to monitor.

Wig
Ok. Thanks for checking, Wigg. I assumed it was enabled but I just thought I'd ask. It was the only thing I could think of. ;)

BD
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
The Beta seams to be working very well on my phone!

-Daniel
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Sure thing Nemo..Can't wait for you to join us! ;)

Have a nice Saturday!
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
@ wrote:
@
Up and running now with the Beta.:D

Just a couple of points:
1) As Sherry has already pointed out, the Persistent Status icon is absent and I miss that as it was the easiest way to gain access to the app; and

2) I was using the Free version before and now have the free Beta version which is fine with me. However your earlier post indicated that it would be updated to the Premier version as a thank you for testing and I was just wondering if this as automatic or if I need to input the keycode from my PC.

Nemo

Hi @

I am sorry if I didn't explain the Persistent Status. I do have WR at the top of my Android. It's just not green...it is a white...

Go to General Settings fby clicking on the 3 dots (Menu) and check the Persistent Status.

EDITED: I used my PC keycode to Register. ...we will see what Sophia saids...

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

2) I was using the Free version before and now have the free Beta version which is fine with me. However your earlier post indicated that it would be updated to the Premier version as a thank you for testing and I was just wondering if this as automatic or if I need to input the keycode from my PC.

Hmm, yeah it should have upgraded you to Premier with a keycode that includes the letters "BETA".  You can register your keycode from your PC into the beta app as a work around.  If your PC keycode does not include mobile protection, I can make you a premier keycode to use.
Userlevel 7
Badge +34
Thanks for explaining that Sophia. The only constant in this world is change!

EDIT
@
Since this functionality only works on Jellybean (4.1) and older versions of Android, surely it would be better to amend the Mobile app to cater for the up-to-date versions. I mean, Jellybean is five years old now and is not even supported any longer!
Leaving things as they are rather suggests that this is an abandoned app.

One possible solution would be to link to the Battery settings in the current Android OS which nicely shows the battery use by screen, OS and apps since the last full charge.

Userlevel 7
Badge +34
@

Since installing the Beta version of Complete a few weeks ago, the weekly regular scan has not taken place. It used to scan without fail in the previously installed Free version.

There was a reminder showing when I checked today and I had to do a manual scan. It seems all very strange.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
I have mine set to Daily Scans and that's working fine on my phone.
Userlevel 7
Badge +34
That was the issue I'm sure Sophie. Was just using it again and checked with the app and it had scanned 9 minutes ago!

So I will set it for daily scans and see how I get on. Thanks for your help. 😃
Userlevel 7
Badge +7
Wonderful!  The beta definitely changes how scans are run, so I'm glad to hear it's still working.
Userlevel 7
Badge +7
Actually, in the non-beta version, if you missed a scan due to being offline, it does not scan when the device comes back online again.  That is a feature I would like to add!  

The difference right now between beta and non-beta is only under the hood.  If we did it right, you should notice no change.  Later we will be adding noticible changes.
Userlevel 7
Badge +7
That's great to hear!

We've been working on a new version, and I started an update thread here:
https://community.webroot.com/t5/Beta/Android-Beta-update-thread-4-3-0-8777/gpm-p/299272

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
@Message sent.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Just updated to Beta 4.1.1.8039

I am using Webroot SecureAnywhere Mobile Complete and have noticed there is no Backup & Sync icon after this update, is it by design for the beta (previously have three icons - Webroot SecureAnywhere, Webroot Browser, Backup & Sync)?