Android Beta Feedback - Spring 2017

Userlevel 7
Badge +48
We excited to announce that we will be launching an upcoming Android Beta program in the very near future. 

This thread is where we'll be capturing all of your feedback, comments, and suggestions. 

Stay tuned for a more info. 

Thanks!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

UPDATE: Scroll down or click here to jump to the latest Android Beta news 

143 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge
I have a Samsung Galaxy S-7 Edge... I have installed the beta app (don't know if it's new or old. lol)

I get a strange error message every day, 

You may be at risk
Insecure option enabled: Unknown Sources is toggled on.

I turn it off, but the next day it has been turned back on!  I don't know how it gets switched back on... but it does.

Wigg
Hi Wigg,

Just a thought, but do you have Webroot SecureAnywhere enabled in "Device Administrators" of your phone.

It's in:   
Settings/Security/Device Administrators,  check the box for "SecureAnywhere".  (Settings/Secutity is also where the option to turn "Unknown Sources" on/off is.)

This should already be done, but I was just wondering.;)

BD
"You may be at risk
Insecure option enabled: Unknown Sources is toggled on."

That's a pretty easy one: you have the option in setup checked so you can install APK files from anywhere other than the Google Play store.  You have to do that if you are a developer or even to "sideload" applications for Android from Amazon, for example.

It's a hole, but one almost everyone has "open".
Yes, but when he turns it off, it comes back on without his approval. Hence, the issue he's having.;)
Userlevel 4
Badge
Hey BurnDaddy,

I checked as you asked and SecureAnywhere is selected under Device Admin.

Thanks, will continue to monitor.

Wig
@ wrote:
Hey BurnDaddy,

I checked as you asked and SecureAnywhere is selected under Device Admin.

Thanks, will continue to monitor.

Wig
Ok. Thanks for checking, Wigg. I assumed it was enabled but I just thought I'd ask. It was the only thing I could think of. ;)

BD
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
The Beta seams to be working very well on my phone!

-Daniel
Userlevel 7
Badge +7
Great to hear that!
Same here, Daniel. 😃
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Running great on my SamsungNote! But I miss the dark green icon at the top of the screen. (The Persistent Status);)

But it's a Beta....
Userlevel 7
Badge +34
I emailed my request to be included in the Beta test early Friday morning but haven't heard back yet. Been using WR Mobile for two years now and looking forward to seeing the new Beta.
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hi Nemo,
I didn't hear from my email for a few days or more. I signed up the day of the notice for Android Beta sign up and I didn't hear back right away. I want to say it took a week? But maybe @ can check this out for you?
Userlevel 7
Badge +34
Thanks Sherry. I'll just have to learn to be patient! :D

All the best

Nemo
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Sure thing Nemo..Can't wait for you to join us! ;)

Have a nice Saturday!
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Nemo..according to the date it was a week ago that Drew told us we could sign up. So I was wrong about waiting a week. You should hear by Monday I would think. Sorry my timelasp isn't very good. :@

@ Sorry I have figured it out now June 2nd Drew posted that we could sign up. So I did that day and heard back on my email the June 6th. 
Userlevel 7
Badge +7
@ PM me with your email address. When I get to work on Monday, I'll check it out and make sure you get an invite!
Userlevel 7
Badge +34
@
Up and running now with the Beta.:D

Just a couple of points:
1) As Sherry has already pointed out, the Persistent Status icon is absent and I miss that as it was the easiest way to gain access to the app; and

2) I was using the Free version before and now have the free Beta version which is fine with me. However your earlier post indicated that it would be updated to the Premier version as a thank you for testing and I was just wondering if this as automatic or if I need to input the keycode from my PC.

Nemo

Userlevel 7
Badge +62
@ wrote:
@
Up and running now with the Beta.:D

Just a couple of points:
1) As Sherry has already pointed out, the Persistent Status icon is absent and I miss that as it was the easiest way to gain access to the app; and

2) I was using the Free version before and now have the free Beta version which is fine with me. However your earlier post indicated that it would be updated to the Premier version as a thank you for testing and I was just wondering if this as automatic or if I need to input the keycode from my PC.

Nemo

Hi @

I am sorry if I didn't explain the Persistent Status. I do have WR at the top of my Android. It's just not green...it is a white...

Go to General Settings fby clicking on the 3 dots (Menu) and check the Persistent Status.

EDITED: I used my PC keycode to Register. ...we will see what Sophia saids...

Userlevel 7
Badge +34
Thanks Sherry but the box was already checked when it updated. I have tried unchecking and checking again but it makes no difference. Still the icon is nowhere to be seen!
Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hmm, yeah it should have upgraded you to Premier with a keycode that includes the letters "BETA".  You can register your keycode from your PC into the beta app as a work around.  If your PC keycode does not include mobile protection, I can make you a premier keycode to use.
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
@ wrote:
Thanks Sherry but the box was already checked when it updated. I have tried unchecking and checking again but it makes no difference. Still the icon is nowhere to be seen!
Your welcome Nemo,

Well that is odd...I guess Sophia will have to answer why the Webroot icon is not showing.

Maybe an uninstall/clean reinstall of Webroot? Is there a Settings in your phone ..Nexus is it? I have found Application Manager/SecureAnywhere/tap on WSA and see what you have for notifications for this.

Otherwise you can still submit a Support Ticket and ask them or hang in there for Sophia.
Userlevel 7
Badge +7
Thanks for the heads up @ and @. We'll keep an eye out for persistent status icon issues in our testing.

It should be green most of the time on Android 5.0 and below.  It should be white on Android 5.1 and above, since Android does not allow colors in status icons on recent versions.
Userlevel 7
Badge +34
@My PC keycode has updated me to Webroot Complete - I guess i could have done that before!

Still no persistent status icon though. I am running Android 7.1.1. Icon was there in the Free app.
Userlevel 7
Badge +34
I have noticed that under Battery Monitor, the "power consumption by app" information is missing and I cannot see the Current Usage button either. The Battery Information panel is working fine. I am using the Complete Beta and everything else seems OK (apart from the Persistent Status icon which is still missing).
Userlevel 7
Badge +7
@ wrote:
I have noticed that under Battery Monitor, the "power consumption by app" information is missing and I cannot see the Current Usage button either. The Battery Information panel is working fine. I am using the Complete Beta and everything else seems OK (apart from the Persistent Status icon which is still missing).
Sadly, what you're seeing with the Battery Monitor is an OS limitation on newer Android versions.  Android locked that down so we can't display it.  Even if you weren't running the beta, you would see that behavior.

As more and more people upgrade their OS versions, I am considering whether this functionality should be altered, removed, or replaced by something more useful in modern devices.  Technology and the security landscape is always changing!