Android Permissions

• 9 April 2018
  • 5 replies

Before I install WebRoot on our Android devices:

Webroot requires every Android permission I can imagine.  Does Webroot only use these for my scanning, and protection?  OR- does webroot collect some information for their own purposes?

According to WebRoot's privacy statement, WebRoot can collect and share my personal information for its own business purposes, including sharing with third-parties.  That's not something with which I am comfortable.  I hate spyware.  The thought that I just paid for some irks me.  Set me straight.

Well, since posting above, I have been doing some searches on the Web, but WebRoot already knows that. WebRoot collects every detail of my personal information and browsing history. There's lots of information in this community about WebRoot's privacy policies and the more I read the less comfortable I am.

From WebRoot's privacy statement: "We may combine information we collect from the internet or other companies with personal information you give to us and other information we collect about you."  How does this protect my devices?

If you use WebRoot's cloud storage, you agree not to store any personal information there?  Really?

What is WebRoot's refund policy?  If I uninstall WebRoot on Windows 10, does it remove all traces of software, services and processes installed by WebRoot?  It appears that I have "protected" myself by means of a giant information vacuum cleaner.  That information can be and is shared with third-parties for commercial purposes. I wish I had done more research before uninstalling my still-active McAfee product (and I hate McAfee).

5 replies

.... and for the rest of us who want to keep the product but are most uncomfortable letting all this personal data get dispersed? lets get a public explaination of what is taken/used and for what. Also, why is this not disclosed upfront in a large, bold font before purchase/installation.

Will SecureWeb browser work WITHOUT giving all the permissions requested as they seem irrelevent for the service paid for - Web browser updates will not even install at this time without hitting "Accept", but can I revoke my permission after the fact?. I have nearly 2 years left in my subscription and would be disappointed if I have to give that up.

Userlevel 7
Badge +48
Hi @

Our customer support team will be contacting you soon to talk with you directly about this. 

Thank you, 

While you carefully consider how to answer my questions (in consultation with WebRoot lawyers, I will assume), please inform me of your refund policy.

@ wrote:
Hey @

Welcome to the Webroot Community! So happy to have you here and be a part of the community. 

I don't want to misspeak in anyway which is why I'm going to take some time to answer your questions. If you have other questions around the product, please let me know as I'd be happy to help. 

All the best, 

Hi @,

Thanks very much for reaching out and taking my concerns seriously.  I would like to know about the refund policy while you carefully consider your responses to the other questions.

Upon careful reconsideration, I have decided to roll-back my systems to pre-webroot status.  I just noted that my Win 10 PCs have had all the Quick Access shortcuts removed from Explorer.  And I found that WR quarantined a safe file upon the initial scan, but ignored a very similar file in the same directory until I tried to execute it.  I will seek a refund later, whatever the policy is.  I will not be recommending this software!  PC Mag is bought- IMHO.

FYI: I asked support some of these questions, and haven't heard from them, either.

McAfee was installed when I backed up (THANKS Macrium) so it will be again.  I'll keep looking.  And looking forward to your carefully crafted responses to my questions.   Legal dept. might take a little time to get back to you.  We have to consider the EU, after all.  Would you kindly ensure that WebRoot and all your affiliates and partners ignore my eMail address?  It's been a bit over 24 hours since my initial install and I have deleted exactly 15 eMails from WebRoot-related entities, mostly the community.  Seems like most AntiVirus vendors make you wonder which is worse: malware, or their software.

Would you kindly ensure that all traces of my data are deleted from your and your partners' computers and networks?
Userlevel 7
Badge +48
Hey @

Welcome to the Webroot Community! So happy to have you here and be a part of the community. 

I don't want to misspeak in anyway which is why I'm going to take some time to answer your questions. If you have other questions around the product, please let me know as I'd be happy to help. 

All the best,