Android phone: threat: Device Management com.mediatek.dm---unsuccessfull app removal. next step?

• 13 December 2015
  • 1 reply

Badge +1
I need assistance.
I've been running Webroot on my android phone for over a year and have never received a threat notification until today.
Antivirus scan detects: Application Threat - Device Management - com.mediatek.dm. When I click on Webroot to remove this app, Webroot responds with: UNSUCCESSFULL.

Metro PCS is my mobil phone carrier. In the past couple weeks, MetroPCS updated their system app to include an update with  Data Maximizer. This app update is supposed to manage my music & video data transmission more efficiently to keep my 4G usage lower.

When I go into my phone's application menu and locate the app for  Device Management com.mediatek.dm, I have clicked on STOP; I'm not offered the choice to DISABLE. The Webroot scan continues to show the High Risk threat, when I run removal, it continues to respond:  Unsuccessfull. Webroot states that the threat is Trojan. 

Perhaps, Webrrot is observing the MetroPCs performing Data Maximizer and mistaking those actions for one of a Trojan?
If so, I can click on "ignore this threat" - or ?

Thanks in advance for help.

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hello ?

Welcome to the Webroot Community,

To be honest I am not sure if this is a threat or a false positive, This com.mediatek dm could be built into your phone application/ device.

Edited: Have a look at this thread and see if this applies to you...https://community.webroot.com/t5/Webroot-Mobile-for-Android/can-t-remove-a-threat/td-p/102958

So your best bet is to Submit a Support Ticket so that they can check this out for you. This is a free service with a Webroot subscription.

Please let us know how things go so that we can help others with similiar or like issues.

Thanks!