Solved

Blocking Spoofed Numbers

• 30 July 2014
  • 9 replies

I have WSAM on my adroid phone (Moto 😵 as part of a WSA Complete subscription.

I recently began receiving calls from "Unknown" with no number so turned on the "Block Unidentified Numbers".  I then recieved a call from "Unknown" at 777-777-7777.  When I went to block this specific number from the "Pick from Call Log" option (it appeared as 7777777777 in the list), WSAM would not allow me to select it.  I then tried entering it manually with "Add Number" but got the response "Blocked number must be valid".

So it seems that Webroot is aware that the number is spoofed (or at least "invalid") yet it does nothing to block the call.  I would think that the default should be to block all such numbers especially if Block Unidentified Numbers is turned on.  Is this a feature that needs to be added or is there something else that I can do?

Thanks for your help.
icon

Best answer by ATrain 30 July 2014, 21:50

View original

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +62
@ wrote:
I have WSAM on my adroid phone (Moto 😵 as part of a WSA Complete subscription.

I recently began receiving calls from "Unknown" with no number so turned on the "Block Unidentified Numbers".  I then recieved a call from "Unknown" at 777-777-7777.  When I went to block this specific number from the "Pick from Call Log" option (it appeared as 7777777777 in the list), WSAM would not allow me to select it.  I then tried entering it manually with "Add Number" but got the response "Blocked number must be valid".

So it seems that Webroot is aware that the number is spoofed (or at least "invalid") yet it does nothing to block the call.  I would think that the default should be to block all such numbers especially if Block Unidentified Numbers is turned on.  Is this a feature that needs to be added or is there something else that I can do?

Thanks for your help.
Welcome ATrain to the WSA Community Forum!:D

I'm sorry you are having issue with WSA on your phone. I'm not sure what else you can do if its not letting you block or add this number. May I suggest Support Ticket Here so that tech support can look at this and they may ask you to send in some log files. But did you put in the dashes also like 777-777-7777?

Unless someone here on the Forum can assist you further?;)

I can research my Android and see if I have same issue. Will get back!

EDIT: Alright Atrain, I'm getting the same message when adding this number as Unknown with 777-777-7777, Blocked number must be valid. So I suggest Tech Support for this.

Thank You,
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
I would like to know how to stop them on my home landlines phones as well but I'm afraid there is nothing that can be done IMHO.

Daniel
Thanks for the quick response.  I submitted a Support Ticket as you suggested.

As a work around, I added the phone number to my contacts and then selected the "All calls to voicemail" option.  This is what I would do before WSAM.  I'll have to wait and see if this is effective with these kinds of spoofed numbers.
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
@ wrote:

As a work around, I added the phone number to my contacts and then selected the "All calls to voicemail" option.  This is what I would do before WSAM.  I'll have to wait and see if this is effective with these kinds of spoofed numbers.
Hello ATrain,:D

Great information for the work around and we appreciate your responding back for this can help others with simialar issues!

Have a great day!

Thank You,
Userlevel 6
@ wrote:

Welcome to the community ATrain!

Great to have you here!

Sorry you are experiencing these annoying calls. Glad to hear you have contacted tech support regarding blocking these numbers.

Thank you for sharing with us, we appreciate your feedback! Please keep us updated.

Please do come back often and share your experiences!

Browse around and enjoy!

See you around in the community!

Beth
Userlevel 6
Anxious to see the response ATrain...and thanks for posting. By the way, is there a BTrain? I know...I need AV Rehab....Welcome to the gang.:D
I heard back from Webroot support with a less than inspiring response:

Hello,

The number 777-777-7777 is not a real number, this is why you are getting an error in our system when trying to add it to the blocked list. I will note this information to see if we can get this to be allowed on the blocked list.

Thanks,
Webroot Support Team

Of course the real power would be that when the app sees that the number of an incoming call is not real, it automatically blocks it, especially if the "Block Unidentified Numbers" option is turned on.

As for my handle, I'm not "the" Train and for most of the year I'm in rain. 😉
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hello ATrain. .Thankyou so much for getting back to us here on the Community. .I'll take notes of this issue also. ..more then nice to know because I have an Android and use the blocking features as well.

Thanks again and come on back ya hear! 🙂
Userlevel 6
@ wrote:
I heard back from Webroot support with a less than inspiring response:

Hello,

The number 777-777-7777 is not a real number, this is why you are getting an error in our system when trying to add it to the blocked list. I will note this information to see if we can get this to be allowed on the blocked list.

Thanks,
Webroot Support Team

Of course the real power would be that when the app sees that the number of an incoming call is not real, it automatically blocks it, especially if the "Block Unidentified Numbers" option is turned on.

As for my handle, I'm not "the" Train and for most of the year I'm in rain. ;)
Thank you for getting back to us.

Hope to see you again soon here in the community!

Beth