Galaxy S7 Edge

• 12 November 2017
  • 6 replies

I have been a Webroot customer for years.  A few days ago, I learned that I could protect my Android device.  As my license is good for three devices, I added my Galaxy S7 Edge to my protected devices.  As I was setting it up, it gave me several indications that my device was set up in an "unsafe" manner.  I stupidly followed all of the suggestions, including using a fingerprint for entry into the device.  I glossed over the next few steps.  I do recall something about a PIN, but I did not set a PIN.  I assume at one time I had set up a PIN on the phone and it used that (of COURSE, I don't remember that!!!)

This morning the device would no longer recognize my fingerprint.  It is now asking me for a PIN as it won't let my use the fingerprint method anymore.  I don't know the PIN.  I tried what I thought I might have set it to.  Now I have 3 attempts before I lose all my data (which of course, I don't think is backed up anywhere???)  Thousands of pictures and videos of my grandkids, which can not be replaced.  Is there a way to set up a new PIN on the phone without being able to log into it?  I tried to connect it to my computer to see if I can access the folders so that I can get the pictures, but of course that didn't work.  Can anyone help?  Thanks.

Jodi Arnold

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hello jmarnold30,

Welcome to the Webroot Community,

So sorry to hear you are having this issue. Please Submit a Support Ticket so that they can assist you with this issue free of charge.

Contact Webroot:
Mon - Fri 7:00 AM to 7:00 PM (MST)
Tel: 1-866-612-4227 

HTH

Userlevel 7
Hi jmarnold30

Welcome to the Community Forums.

Sorry to hear of your plight. I am no Android expert but doing some research online I came across a number of methods that purport to do the trick, and this one seems to be the simplest. I don't know if it will work as I have not tried it but have a look at it and then you can decide if you want to give it a go.

"All Samsung devices come with "Find My Mobile" feature. In order to bypass Samsung lock screen pattern, PIN, password and fingerprint, you can just follow the below steps to get it done.
• First of all, set up your Samsung account and log in.
• Click "Lock My Screen" button.
• Enter new PIN in the first field
• Click "Lock" button at the bottom
• Within few minutes, it will change lock screen password to the PIN so that you can unlock your device."

I hope this helps in some way but if not you can find a large number of articles on this by Googling "How to unlock Android if fingerprint and PIN don't work".

Regards, Baldrick
Thanks.  I tried this, but when I put in the new password, I got a message that there is already a password on my screen so the new information is unnecessary.  I also went to Find My Mobile with Samsung and although my device is registered to my account, it doesn't appear that I have that feature activated, even though I know I did when I set up Webroot.  So....I clicked the link above and hopefully Webroot will be able to help.  

Of course, I've been meaning to back up to my external hard drive but I just haven't quite had the time...so sick about this!!
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hello there,
Have you tried contacting your phone carrier/provider and ask them if there is a way to unlock your phone? Perhaps asking them if you could unlock your phone with a new Sim card? All they can tell you is no but you tried.

Hopefully Webroot can assist you with unlocking your device. Otherwise I'm afraid you'll have to do a soft /hard reset of your phone which means you will lose all your pictures. I'd be sick about that too. Sorry I can't be more helpful. 😞
My provider, Verizon, can offer no assistance.  I have submitted a ticket to Webroot, but have not heard back.  I am on hold now (10 minute wait, according to the operator).  Hopefully they will be able to assist.  

Can someone tell me exactly what PIN is required?  Is it a PIN for google?  webroot?  samsung?  or something I would have set up at one time or another on my device itself?

Thanks, Jodi
Userlevel 7
Hi Jodi

From what you described originally it will be the PIN that you would have been asked to set up when you first used the phone (that is what happened to me recently when my place of work replaced my trusty Nokia witha J5 :().

That is why I suggested that you try what I posted. Unless you can find a hack that works I am afraid a reset may be the only option (which of course you t not want to do for the reasons previously cited).

You could also try this advice from the reputable site HowToGeek (HERE). Have followed their advice a number of times and it usually works.

Regards, Baldrick