I cannot remove the Trojan Android.Gedma -- Sms Reg -- com.mediatek.smsreg from my tablet. Why not?

• 1 December 2014
  • 7 replies

I installed Webroot SecureAnywhere Mobile Complete on my Android Tablet and the scan found the Trojan -- Android.Gedma -- SmsReg -- com.mediatek.smsreg.  However, when I hit the "Remove This Item" button, it states that the removal is unsuccessful.  Is this program important to the Android system or do I have a problem with the Webroot Mobile Security System?

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hello Scouts_Out,

Welcome to the Community,

Sorry you are having these issues. Plase issue a Support Ticket and they should be able to resolve this free of charge with an active subscription! This is some information that I've found on this Trojan. But I'm not sure if this is the same thing as what I found below. So do Contact Support!

Android/Dgen trojan gedma a is a malicious android app used to interrupt the normal operations of your android device and gain access to the private information you have stored in it. These kinds of threats are called Malware.

I have the same issue. Webroot says it can't uninstall it. I have looked at my apps in the play store and I can't find any app with smsreg in the name/description. Not sure what to do. Thanks for any help!!!
Userlevel 7
hello nmanny76, welcome to the Community!

The name of a specific malware will almost always be different than the name of the program in which it was brought into your device by: if it was not hidden, it would be all too easy to locate and remove them right?

There is always a chance that it is a False Positive, however I would not take that chance.  I strongly suggest you also submit a Trouble Ticket and have Webroot Support take a look.
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hello nmanny76,

Did Webroot tell you the reason why it can't be removed? This may be built into the Android Tablet itself. I'm not sure though. Does Webroot detect it as a Trojan?

Regards,
It just says uninstall unsuccessful
And yes, it said it was a Trojan.
Userlevel 7
Please submit the Trouble Ticket to have Webroot Support take a look at the phone model and files in question.  That is the best way to go at the moment.