Malware AduptsFota - Webroot failed to find

• 29 June 2020
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Hello Webroot! My colegue bought  a phone ALCALL android a month ago and in past  week is too slow, poping up some advertisments etc... I was wondering what problems is, and finally found some weird file .apk on the phone by manually searching the files.I check it on the internet and it seems it’s a Malware! It’s called “AduptsFota” and it’s downloading other malware which are making phone more slower as it is.. 

I immediately bought a licence and install Webroot Secure Anywhere Mobile on phone! Scanned the phone and it does found nothing! It says: “You are protected”

Tried to delete it manually but it seems the file /application “AduptsFota” is integrated into a android system and there is no chance to delete it. Webroot doesn’t find anything still.

I tried to root my phone to be able to do changes to my system, but unsuccesfull.  Can’t even connect phone to the PC, it cannot be found at all! Phone is charging and there is no option to put transfer files or smth like that, like in other phones have. Idk what I didn’t try, from deleting usb ports and reinstalling drivers to install additional programs for rooting phone.. nothing works.

I read somewhere on the internet that Chinese are selling phones that malware is preinstalled on Android Systems, so this could be it?!

Maybe someone here had similar experience which can help?!

Thanks!

This topic has been closed for comments

6 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +21

Think AduptsFota is part of Fotaprovider which might be found in Apps. If you see it maybe you can force/stop disable or uninstall

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

@Webroot Space ,

If nothing else works, you may need to do a factory reset on your phone - this will delete all files and apps and then set your phone to the state it is in out of the box.

To figure out how to do that, do a google search for “(Phone name) Factory reset”

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

@Webroot Space ,

If nothing else works, you may need to do a factory reset on your phone - this will delete all files and apps and then set your phone to the state it is in out of the box.

To figure out how to do that, do a google search for “(Phone name) Factory reset”

Thank you for your answer, but I did it and still malware remain. He is in the system, somehow goes with it and never delete whatever I do. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

I don’t see any way of malware staying on your phone during a factory reset - It’s a complete wipe of the hard drive back to factory settings. Perhaps the software you’re seeing is actually a from-the-factory bundled software?

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

I don’t see any way of malware staying on your phone during a factory reset - It’s a complete wipe of the hard drive back to factory settings. Perhaps the software you’re seeing is actually a from-the-factory bundled software?

It seems so! That’s what I’m wondering, that malware is preinstalled into system which is not deleting by doing a factory reset.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

If it is the case that this phone is bundled with malware-like-software, the only option is to either get a better phone without bad bloatware OR find a custom android ROM to flash onto the phone’s BIOS. It’s a bit of a tricky process, but it allows you more control over what is installed on the phone.

Its a surprising thing that webroot failed to find it why not you try this page information that may help you to use its features in a better way.