Solved

Phone says "no sim card" even though I haven't taken it out

• 4 January 2013
  • 7 replies

This problem has happened several times in the last couple of days where I take my phone out and it says "No SIM card". I turned off SIM card lock protection but that didn't help. A simple restart of my phone is all it takes to get the SIM card recognized again. Webroot must be doing something else in the background as part of it's lockdown of the SIM card that it causing this problem. Anyone else have something similar? And suggestions on how to fix it without restarting? It's a bit annoying, so if there is no fix, I'll just have to uninstall Webroot entirely. Thanks for the help!
icon

Best answer by JimM 22 January 2013, 18:00

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 7
I doubt uninstalling Webroot would solve that problem. It sounds like a loose card or faulty reader. In fact, I would suggest uninstalling Webroot temporarily to see whether or not it's the source of the problem. However long it normally takes for the issue to occur, I'd leave Webroot off the device at least twice as long to get a conclusive result. Then I'd put it back and see if you get the same issue shortly thereafter.

If this is a problem, it's a new one I haven't seen before, but I'll be happy to investigate if we can determine it's Webroot-related.
I'll give that a try, but given that this problem didn't start until yesterday, shortly after I installed Webroot, I think it's most likely related to the software. I'll uninstall now and report back over the weekend. Typically happens within a few hours or restarting. Thanks!
Quick update...did not receive the "no SIM card" error at all since uninstalling the Webroot andoird software on Friday. I'm using an HTC One X+ on AT&T, if that's at all helpful. Thanks!
Userlevel 7
Let's go ahead and put Webroot back and see if it happens again over the course of the next two days. That would be worth collecting logs for if it happens again. Please reply back here if it does, and I'll respond via private message with instructions for how to provide logs.
Just reinstalled. I'll give you an update in a couple days. Fingers crossed! Thanks!
Only had one instance of the sim not found message in the last two weeks. But tonight while in the middle of a phone call, another concerning problem. I received the following message: "Device is locked. Webroot has locked this device at the request of the owner. To unlock, please provide the password below." I input my password and it unlocked, but I never requested it to be locked. Any thoughts? Thanks!
Userlevel 7
It sounds like Webroot thinks you removed the sim card and put it back. That's triggered off an alert sent from the Android OS when the hardware detects the card is removed / replaced. I still suspect it's a loose card or faulty reader. Have you tried taking it and putting it back in snugly?

A lot of times when I see this reported, the eventual solution is going to the carrier for a SIM card replacement. Frequently, replacing a really old card resolves this kind of problem. You can often get one from your carrier for free if you report the problem to them.

It's an outside possibility, but it could also be that somebody triggered the lock from the console if, say for instance, a family member has access to the console and is pulling a prank on you by locking your phone when you least expect it. I once had a case in the support system back when I was in Support in which a customer reported back that the reason for his phone locking turned out to be his son, who had console access, playing a joke on him. His device was also screaming as well, which was probably much funnier to his kid. You could always change your password if you suspect such shenanigans.

You could just disable the feature as well if this proves to be more of a nuisance than you want to deal with. If you want to disable the SIM Card Lock feature, go to Lost Device Protection from the main panel, click View Details, and then Edit Lost Device Protection Settings.