Phone security Problem

• 23 November 2015
  • 13 replies

Userlevel 1
Hello, i have a Android based phone, with webroot installed on it, Bought from Play Store, i have a problem where my screen lock turns off, and gets set to slide insted of pin where it should be. basically it turns off randomly, do u think im being hacked or is it some kind of conflict? i just factory reset my phone too, and put webroot on it first, and the pin screen lock turns off still randomly and gets set to slide.

13 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hello Edman73,

Welcome to the Webroot Community,

This sounds more like an issues with your Android settings IMO. I use a Pin for my Settings with Webroot. My swipe in the Lock screen settings of my Android shows the swipe disabled. So I am not sure what is going on with your device.I don't believe your Android is being hacked but I cannot say for sure. I would just check my Settings in your Android.

? do you have anything to add here.

If you feel this is a conflict of Webroot then please submit a Support Ticket and they can advise free of charge with a Webroot subscription.

Userlevel 7
It sounds like the WSA requirement of setting a lock system might not be working quite right somehow.  

Try this, just to see if it will help.

Disable ALL lock, slide, pin, etc, everything.

Restart the phone

WSA SHOULD complain about there not being a suitable screen lock set.  Open the WSA notification for that, and click on the notification as it requests to reset the screen lock.  

Setting it this way MIGHT help get it to 'stick' I hope.
Userlevel 1
swipe is greyed out in the security options, along with none, and voice unlock..so theres no way i can select it, im pretty sure there greyed out because of webroot, which i like , but swipe still gets selected somehow, even tho i cant select it, and my pin gets removed and replaced with swipe.
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hi Edman73,

Would you want to do an uninstall/reinstall of Webroot just to eliminate that Webroot could be the problem. Uninstall Webroot and restart your phone and see if you are having any issue with the lock screens after restarting/.Then if not try installing Webroot again. Do you want to try that and get back to us?
Userlevel 1
sure ill try that, ill uninstall it tonight and get back with you tomorrow about this time.
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Sounds good Edman...we are always here. ;)

After you uninstall Webroot it is a good idea to restart your phone after the uninstall. Let us know if you have any troubles uninstalling or reinstalling.

Userlevel 1
Just curious how to make slide, none, and voice unlock selectable, after uninstalling webroot.
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hi Edman,

What is the make of your Android may I ask? You should be able to go into Settings/Lock Screen/Lock Screen/None,

I am not sure how your device is set up?  When I am on my Android Settings..I Select screen lock and set a Pin to 4 digits or use Password. The Swipe on my device automatically disables Swipe when using a Pin.

Userlevel 1
I have a BLU studio C 5.5   before i installed webroot after i factory reset my phone , i was able to set the lock screen to none, swipe, voice unlock, pattern, pin, passcode, gesture. after installing webroot, none, swipe and voice unlock are greyed out..not selectable, i figured webroot did it. i unstalled webroot a bit ago cause of the main problem im haveing with it being set to swipe and removing my pin, but now i just want to know how to make it so there not greyed out and selectable if i want to use none or just swipe.
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Edman have you gone into Settings/Security/Phone Administrator and checked to see who is Adminstrator on your device? That might help to ungrey those settings.
Userlevel 1
i have , with webroot uninstalled, i had none selected, so i selected android device manager till i get webroot back in tomorrow, i just noticed it says there disabled by administrator, encryption policy, or credential storage.
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hi Edman,

Here is the manual for your device. It may help? http://s536785483.onlinehome.us/usermanuals/index.php/studio-5-5c-english-manual.html
Userlevel 1
The problem with my security being turned off, went away after uninstalling webroot, also read that im not the only one with the problem, and it started after last update.