private/incognito supported ?

• 8 April 2019
  • 4 replies

Hello.,

This is regarding mobile security on android, i would like to know if there is a way to block specific sites when using incognito/private browser mode ?

Specifically, this is aimed at my kids, where i need to block inappropriate site if using incognito/private mode and security imposed.

Thanks HK

This topic has been closed for comments

4 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +21
What you are looking for is parental control feature which Webroot does not have.

One way to partially approach this for free is to see if your home router has this feature in the firmware. Otherwise, you can use OpenDNS to replace your ISP's default DNS on the router to control access to websites. This benefit of this approach is that it can apply to all devices and computers on the network or specific ones. The downside is that it does not work if the phone is not home or uses mobile data plan.

However, with Android Pie / v9 , there is now a Private DNS setting for changing DNS. But, it's only good on wifi and is wifi network specific so each network the phone connects to would need that one time setup.

Other than this I think you would need to go the specialized parental control software/app. Try to see if your phone mobile provider provides this type of service.

I tried the parental control thing on my nephew since my brother was getting tired of telling him to stop using Youtube on his phone all the time. I but got tired of being the human firewall changing router settings since if cant use his phone he'll borrow from sister, use the computer, and even use the smart tv to access YouTube.
Honestly speaking, yes, we tried openDNS, the mobile 4G doesn't carry one IP (for example 10.45.x.x), it used to have the randomly assigned IP that is changed in every 30-45 seconds. We cannot regularly assign the IP identified to openDNS and block.

If the kid is away with mobile, how do we know the exact IP and add to the openDNS ? Can you ?
What you are looking for is parental control feature which Webroot does not have.

One way to partially approach this for free is to see if your home router has this feature in the firmware. Otherwise, you can use OpenDNS to replace your ISP's default DNS on the router to control access to websites. This benefit of this approach is that it can apply to all devices and computers on the network or specific ones. The downside is that it does not work if the phone is not home or uses mobile data plan.

However, with Android Pie / v9 , there is now a Private DNS setting for changing DNS. But, it's only good on wifi and is wifi network specific so each network the phone connects to would need that one time setup.

Other than this I think you would need to go the specialized parental control software/app. Try to see if your phone mobile provider provides this type of service.

I tried the parental control thing on my nephew since my brother was getting tired of telling him to stop using Youtube on his phone all the time. I but got tired of being the human firewall changing router settings since if cant use his phone he'll borrow from sister, use the computer, and even use the smart tv to access YouTube.

Honestly speaking, yes, we tried openDNS, the mobile 4G doesn't carry one IP (for example 10.45.x.x), it used to have the randomly assigned IP that is changed in every 30-45 seconds. We cannot regularly assign the IP identified to openDNS and block.

If the kid is away with mobile, how do we know the exact IP and add to the openDNS ? Can you ?
Userlevel 6
Badge +21
It's a static DNS setting on the router/device rather than the dynamic IP address assigned to the device by the mobile provider or router. DNS settings typically only have 1 or 2 entries you can put for the DNS server. OpenDNS provides a 2 DNS server IPs depending on which OpenDNS service you use.
https://www.opendns.com/home-internet-security/

• OpenDNS Family Shield (free) uses DNS servers: 208.67.222.123 and 208.67.220.123
  • OpenDNS Home (Free) uses : 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220
  • their other paid options I assume would use other servers
As mentioned before, DNS settings are only wifi based on the phone since you can not alter it when the phone uses their data plan. The mobile providers does not allow DNS changes when on their mobile data plan.

Otherwise specialized parental control software is the way to go since traditionally it approaches it from a VPN perspective which doesn't matter how they connect to the internet.