Solved

Scanning for 2 days

• 18 March 2013
  • 9 replies

Webroot has been scanning my phone for 2 days straight and has killed my battery. It drains it almost faster than it charges. I have tried canceling the scan bit itbstarts right back up. What is going on?
icon

Best answer by mbpendleton 19 March 2013, 20:59

View original

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi mbpendleton and welcome to the Webroot Community.

The scan loop you have encountered probably means a damaged installation. So please, kill WSA processes (there are 2) and then force to close WSA application (the both you can do in native Android's application manager). After that please uninstall WSA from your Android device, download the correct version (Free, Premier or Complete) from Google Play and install again.
I already did all that. It started to work correctly and now it is stuck again.
Userlevel 7
A new build of WSA for Android is due today if all internal testing goes well. It would be definitelly worth to do a clean install once it is out. Please revert with result. Thanks for your patience in the meanwhile.

In the last attempt I would remove a SD card and run a scan again. Maybe some files stored on your card cause the loop.
Userlevel 7
Hi mbpendleton
Userlevel 7
It could be the sd card itself. The scan may be getting stuck on a corrupt file. If you're able to remove the sd card and put it in a computer, please try running Scan Disk on it. To do so, once the sd card is plugged in, go to My Computer and right-click the sd card. Choose Properties -> Tools -> Check Now. Check all boxes and start the scan. Another way to check whether or not it's the card is to copy off the entire contents of the sd card into a separate folder on your computer's hard drive. If the computer itself gets stuck in the copy process, that would tell us that the card cannot be read from for certain files and would point to corruption as the most likely potential cause of the issue.
What I did was this:

I took out my SD card and did a scan.  When that finished, I put my SD card back in.  Webroot then scanned my SD card and everything worked.  I don't know.  It works now. 😃
Userlevel 7
Thanks for the update mbpendleton! If you run into any more trouble, let us know. It could have been that the seating was loose. 🙂
Userlevel 7
In the past, I have had this issue as well, but I knew that it was a hardware issue with the phone.  I have had my phone for quite a while, and it goes between temp extremes quite often.  Evidently an issue has developed with the SD card slot itself as the card will remount randomly several times a day.  I have replaced the SD Card, but this did not help.

Occasionally, Webroot would get stuck while trying to scan my SD card following the remounting.  Doing a force close, manually unmounting (The safe and correct method, NOT just removing it.) the SD card and then remounting, and then restarting Webroot would work to allow the card to be scanned without it freezing.
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
What I did was this:

I took out my SD card and did a scan.  When that finished, I put my SD card back in.  Webroot then scanned my SD card and everything worked.  I don't know.  It works now. :D
We're pleased your scanning issue is gone. It's nothing unusual that your SD card was the culprit. Just one 3kb bad file can cause these troubles. So to avoid similar issues, please keep your card maintained. Enjoy WSA!