Solved

Texting Scream, lock, no work...

• 11 November 2012
  • 6 replies

When I send the "scream password" text to my phone, the handcent SMS pops up but no scream.
I can only make it work if I send the commands from my PC.
Please help!
Thanks.
icon

Best answer by JimM 12 November 2012, 17:36

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
I can field this one. Shining, we're sorry not to have had this answer up-front yesterday. We've seen this issue before.

If you disable Handcent, the lost device protection features will work via text message. The problem is that third-party SMS messaging services append data to the sides of the text messages prior to passing them, which serves to corrupt the anticipated data feed from what Webroot expects to see. It's essentially interdicting the commands before you receive them and modifying them. This is a frequent and unanticipated consequence of using a third-party SMS service in combination with any app that relies on a particular SMS message looking a certain way. Unfortunately, due to Android architecture, this is a limitation that cannot be overcome. However, you can overcome it yourself by removing Handcent.

I hope this information helps 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
When I send the "scream password" text to my phone, the handcent SMS pops up but no scream.
I can only make it work if I send the commands from my PC.
Please help!
Thanks.
Hello shining1 and Welcome the Webroot Community Forums.

@ should be online Sunday to help you and https:///t5/Community-Guidelines-please-read/Looking-for-Support/m-p/10124#M14is some more information about support on the forums and times.

Thanks,

TH

Userlevel 7
Welcome to the forum shining1.

I would like to gather more information to investigate further.

If you have done any password resets recently, please try sending the old password with the "scream password" message.

What is the make and model of your mobel device? Are you sending yourself the text or are you sending it from another device? And is your device on silent?
MikeR wrote:
Welcome to the forum https:///t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/5054.

I would like to gather more information to investigate further.

If you have done any password resets recently, please try sending the old password with the "scream password" message.

What is the make and model of your mobel device? Are you sending yourself the text or are you sending it from another device? And is your device on silent?

I have tried the old password and the new. No worky.
I have the Samsung Galaxy SIII. Model SPH-L710.
My device is Not on silent. I'm am sending the text to my phone from my wife's and tried also with my son's.
Userlevel 7
Thank you for clarifying the details. Please Open a Support Ticket so we can troubleshoot further. Please detail that you have tried the text commands from more than one device and that it only works when you send it from the online account.

I will also check if this has been a common issue or a case by case one. Please let me know when you have submitted the ticket and I will add notes to it.
@ wrote:
I can field this one. Shining, we're sorry not to have had this answer up-front yesterday. We've seen this issue before.

If you disable Handcent, the lost device protection features will work via text message. The problem is that third-party SMS messaging services append data to the sides of the text messages prior to passing them, which serves to corrupt the anticipated data feed from what Webroot expects to see. It's essentially interdicting the commands before you receive them and modifying them. This is a frequent and unanticipated consequence of using a third-party SMS service in combination with any app that relies on a particular SMS message looking a certain way. Unfortunately, due to Android architecture, this is a limitation that cannot be overcome. However, you can overcome it yourself by removing Handcent.

I hope this information helps :)
Excellent!  Thanks Jim.
I actually uninstalled it. Tried it..and it worked.
I then reinstalled Handcent and all works fine.
P.S. I do recommend disabling "pop-ups" in the Handcent settings due to the Handcent text box showing up on top of the Webroot "Lock" screen. This will give anyone who has the phone access to the password! :S