Solved

threat found: com.android.mms

Hello,

Webroot says com.android.mms is a threat "threat found". When I try to remove the threat it fails. It fails because it tries to units tall "messenging app".

Please assist.

Thanks
icon

Best answer by RetiredTripleHelix 8 August 2014, 03:31

View original

91 replies

Go to :
https://community.webroot.com/t5/Webroot-Mobile-for-Android/threat-found-com-android-mms/m-p/137329/highlight/false#M2950

You're not the only one.
I can not get rid of this virus HELP
Yea I was reading about the 500k androids hit in China on 8/2/14
Just as we surmised
Got the same message back from Tech Support.  Only thing kind of suspect is I got the reply a mere second or two after I submitted it.  Hope it's not just a blanket auto-reply for all false positive submissions. 
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
From Support:

Hello,

Thank you for contacting Webroot Support. We apologize for any inconvenience this issue may have caused.

It does appear the detection in question was a false positive. We have re-evaluated the definition detecting the application you report and corrected the false positive on our end. Within the next 24-48 hours we will release a new definition set with those corrections and you should no longer see that detection. In the meantime, you may choose the option to "Ignore this threat" and this will prevent Webroot from displaying the alert again for that particular app. We appreciate your report and thorough troubleshooting!

Regards,

The Webroot Mobile Threat Research Team

Thanks everyone,

TH
Userlevel 1
I have also received this threat warning on my two phones at the same time. Restarted the phone but it didn't help.
I just got the notification as well. Won't uninstall because of messaging app. Hopefully it was a false positive and an update on a definition that was missed. I ignored it 😕 .... I HOPE it is nothing big or an actually spyware. I totally just put my GF through 21 questions asking if she installed a sms spyware onto my phone hahahaha....glad I'm not the only one going through this. ***crossing fingers in a definition problem and a false positive***
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
From Support:

Hello,

Thank you for contacting Webroot Support. We apologize for any inconvenience this issue may have caused.

It does appear the detection in question was a false positive. We have re-evaluated the definition detecting the application you report and corrected the false positive on our end. Within the next 24-48 hours we will release a new definition set with those corrections and you should no longer see that detection. In the meantime, you may choose the option to "Ignore this threat" and this will prevent Webroot from displaying the alert again for that particular app. We appreciate your report and thorough troubleshooting!

Regards,

I contacted customer support via this website and received an automated message saying it is a false positive that will be fixed in 24-48 hours.  If you look at the messaging app info on your phone it clearly shows that it does track you and what messages you write, so even when this is "bug" is fixed, you're still monitored.  It's just that now a lot more people are aware of it!:8
I contacted technical support and recieved an automated message that stated it is a false positive that will be fixed in 24-48 hours.  If you go into Application Manager and look at the messaging app info, you can clearly see that this app tracks your location and reads all your messages.  So even when this "bug" is fixed, you still will be tracked.  I guess just a lot more people are aware of it now! :8
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
From Support:

Hello,

Regards,

Same problem here
I immediately reactivated my VZ Protect and ran a scan on my Verizon Note 3 which became "infected" about an hour ago. it detected no threats....
Same here. Just woke up from a nap and threat keeps coming up on my messages. WTF?
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
I have moved all posts to this one thread. We are sorry your having issues with this and support is aware of the False Positive!

Thanks for your patience and again we are sorry,

TH

From Support:

Hello,

Regards,

Userlevel 6
@ wrote:
From Support:

Hello,

Regards,

______________________________________________________________________________________________
@ wrote:
I contacted customer support via this website and received an automated message saying it is a false positive that will be fixed in 24-48 hours.  If you look at the messaging app info on your phone it clearly shows that it does track you and what messages you write, so even when this is "bug" is fixed, you're still monitored.  It's just that now a lot more people are aware of it!:8
Thank you arholland84 and thank you Daniel for contacting support and sharing their answer with everyone.

arholland84, I would also like to welcome you to the community!

Beth
Same here, both our phones had this threat and unable to remove it. What do I do?
Userlevel 6
I do hope everyone has seen the solution/report from tech support posted by TripleHelix and arholland84.

I see that many new members have received the same mesage from Webroot on their Android phone. I would like to thank all of you for sharing that information with us.

Welcome to the community ypekhman, albuchs, RKSJBeck, LGP, rocke06, nwalden,  napierite, tl97, tblairmaylee, boochman123, nathanedwards810, Bearle, albuchs, rocke06, tholland38, OKSooner1,
gbn08, mcgyyvr,  and aimeehart!

I hope I did not leave anyone out

Please do come back often and share your experiences. Thats what its all about, sharing experiences, learning from one another and helping each other out!

See all of you around in the community!

Beth

GZOne Commando w Android keeps getting a spyware threat for Android Messaging app which I can't uninstall or keep Webroot for flagging. I also cannot use my messaging app because the shield pops up.
Getting the same threat. At least I'm not the only one
Userlevel 6
@ wrote:
GZOne Commando w Android keeps getting a spyware threat for Android Messaging app which I can't uninstall or keep Webroot for flagging. I also cannot use my messaging app because the shield pops up.
Welcome to the community.

I suggest you contact information to Tech Support by submitting a support ticket. They will be able to help you out.

Please do let us know what they say and come back often and share your experiences!

Beth
My webroot secure anywhere on my mobile is saying my messages are threats, I just need to know what to do.
Userlevel 6
@ wrote:
My webroot secure anywhere on my mobile is saying my messages are threats, I just need to know what to do.
Welcome to the community! 

Please have a look at this thread
https://community.webroot.com/t5/Webroot-Mobile-for-Android/threat-found-com-android-mms/td-p/137285/page/5

If you are experiencing a different issue, please contact Tech Support by submitting a support ticket

Please do let us know what you hear back.

Thank you,

Beth
Help! My antiviral says there is a critical threat in my messaging. It won't let me remove the messaging app. What do I need to do???