Solved

threat found: com.android.mms

Hello,

Webroot says com.android.mms is a threat "threat found". When I try to remove the threat it fails. It fails because it tries to units tall "messenging app".

Please assist.

Thanks
icon

Best answer by RetiredTripleHelix 8 August 2014, 03:31

View original

91 replies

Oh, ok thank you.
Userlevel 3
Mine as well... very unsetling
Userlevel 3
This false-possitive business stinks of big brother... are you sure you guys didn't accidentaly do your job to well? 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Ok I got confirmation from the threat team that this false positive has been fixed.  If anyone is still showing this one please let me know.
Hi, I just received this threat about an hour ago. I received a legit text, clicked on a link from it, and first it said there was a threat, android.smsSPY. After I attempted to uninstall that, and didn't succeed, I received a message about com.android,mms being a threat.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
Hi, I just received this threat about an hour ago. I received a legit text, clicked on a link from it, and first it said there was a threat, android.smsSPY. After I attempted to uninstall that, and didn't succeed, I received a message about com.android,mms being a threat.
Try forcing an update and see if it goes away.
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
@ wrote:
@ wrote:
Try forcing an update and see if it goes away.
Welcome To the Community Forum renatae!!

Sorry for these issues but an update to this problem has been fixed by the Threat team! So let us know if you have any problems updating WSA. We have alot of helpful volunteers here!!

Best Regards,
Thanks! I'm not seeing an update, but I selected to "ignore" and that fixed it for now. Thank you!
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
Thanks! I'm not seeing an update, but I selected to "ignore" and that fixed it for now. Thank you!
Yeah, you can safely ignore.  The update went out last night, so let me double-check what is going on with it.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
Also would you mind contacting support?  If you're still getting the false positive after making sure you are up to date, then they want to get it documented.
I am having the same exact problem on my GS3.  This happened about 7 hours ago today.  I've also reported and got an auto reply.  My wife has a GS3 but she has not experience this as of yet.  I hope this doesn't get worse and go down to hers.  I'm concerned about the threat and the functionality of the messaging app.  Even if I was successfull in removing the app, how do I get it back?  I'm am opposed to downloading a 3rd party app for messaging.

I also tried forcing the update but it blinks checking servers then nothing happens.  It was updated last at 8.8.14 at 3:12am.
Userlevel 7
It cant be removed as its a system app. If your wife`s phone didnt get the last definition update then she wont get the FP. If she checks for an update now she will get the latest defs which doesnt have the FP
I'm seeing the same thin on my Glaxey SIII and have not been able to remove. It's making me crazy. No matter what I've done I still get uninstall unsuccessful. I need guidance also t o get  this  removed. Any help is much appreciated. Thanks

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
I'm seeing the same thin on my Glaxey SIII and have not been able to remove. It's making me crazy. No matter what I've done I still get uninstall unsuccessful. I need guidance also t o get  this  removed. Any help is much appreciated. Thanks

If you're still getting this then I'd suggest contacting support.  It doesn't sound like your phone is updating if you're still getting the false positive.
Don't try to remove, just ignore the threat.
renatae wrote:
Also would you mind contacting support?  If you're still getting the false positive after making sure you are up to date, then they want to get it documented.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry to be so late getting back to you! I didn't have any further problems. Didn't see your email until now, so very sorry for the late feedback.