Solved

threat found: com.android.mms

Hello,

Webroot says com.android.mms is a threat "threat found". When I try to remove the threat it fails. It fails because it tries to units tall "messenging app".

Please assist.

Thanks
icon

Best answer by RetiredTripleHelix 8 August 2014, 03:31

View original

91 replies

renatae wrote:
Thanks! I'm not seeing an update, but I selected to "ignore" and that fixed it for now. Thank you!
Also would you mind contacting support?  If you're still getting the false positive after making sure you are up to date, then they want to get it documented.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry to be so late getting back to you! I didn't have any further problems. Didn't see your email until now, so very sorry for the late feedback.
Don't try to remove, just ignore the threat.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
I'm seeing the same thin on my Glaxey SIII and have not been able to remove. It's making me crazy. No matter what I've done I still get uninstall unsuccessful. I need guidance also t o get  this  removed. Any help is much appreciated. Thanks

If you're still getting this then I'd suggest contacting support.  It doesn't sound like your phone is updating if you're still getting the false positive.
I'm seeing the same thin on my Glaxey SIII and have not been able to remove. It's making me crazy. No matter what I've done I still get uninstall unsuccessful. I need guidance also t o get  this  removed. Any help is much appreciated. Thanks

Userlevel 7
It cant be removed as its a system app. If your wife`s phone didnt get the last definition update then she wont get the FP. If she checks for an update now she will get the latest defs which doesnt have the FP
I am having the same exact problem on my GS3.  This happened about 7 hours ago today.  I've also reported and got an auto reply.  My wife has a GS3 but she has not experience this as of yet.  I hope this doesn't get worse and go down to hers.  I'm concerned about the threat and the functionality of the messaging app.  Even if I was successfull in removing the app, how do I get it back?  I'm am opposed to downloading a 3rd party app for messaging.

I also tried forcing the update but it blinks checking servers then nothing happens.  It was updated last at 8.8.14 at 3:12am.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
Thanks! I'm not seeing an update, but I selected to "ignore" and that fixed it for now. Thank you!
Also would you mind contacting support?  If you're still getting the false positive after making sure you are up to date, then they want to get it documented.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
Yeah, you can safely ignore.  The update went out last night, so let me double-check what is going on with it.
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
@ wrote:
@ wrote:
Hi, I just received this threat about an hour ago. I received a legit text, clicked on a link from it, and first it said there was a threat, android.smsSPY. After I attempted to uninstall that, and didn't succeed, I received a message about com.android,mms being a threat.
Try forcing an update and see if it goes away.
Welcome To the Community Forum renatae!!

Sorry for these issues but an update to this problem has been fixed by the Threat team! So let us know if you have any problems updating WSA. We have alot of helpful volunteers here!!

Best Regards,
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
Hi, I just received this threat about an hour ago. I received a legit text, clicked on a link from it, and first it said there was a threat, android.smsSPY. After I attempted to uninstall that, and didn't succeed, I received a message about com.android,mms being a threat.
Try forcing an update and see if it goes away.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Ok I got confirmation from the threat team that this false positive has been fixed.  If anyone is still showing this one please let me know.
Userlevel 3
This false-possitive business stinks of big brother... are you sure you guys didn't accidentaly do your job to well? 🙂
Userlevel 3
Mine as well... very unsetling
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
@ wrote:
If we ignore then it will not scan that app in the future. It that really what we want to do? Wouldn't we want our text apps scanned for spyware etc?
Welcome djwade to the Community!:D

I hope Roy answered your question as he states here:

Thats isnt how it works, its not a blanket whitelist of all messenging apps or that application. If the application gets an update and thus changes that ignore setting wont apply any more.

Thus Thank You Roy for the assisstance!!

Oh, ok thank you.
Userlevel 7
Thats isnt how it works, its not a blanket whitelist of all messenging apps or that application. If the application gets an update and thus changes that ignore setting wont apply any more.
If we ignore then it will not scan that app in the future. It that really what we want to do? Wouldn't we want our text apps scanned for spyware etc?
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Thank you Roy for the information as you state here,

A fix has been pushed to QA and a new def will be released shortly. Thanks for your patience! 🙂
Userlevel 7
A fix has been pushed to QA and a new def will be released shortly. Thanks for your patience! 
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
@ wrote:
I have read through all of the pages of this thread up to thus far, but I have not gone through the other related threads.  I'm far from an expert on WebRoot and also must admit that aside from the contents of this thread I have relatively little knowledge of this situation other than my own experience.  Please forgive me for any lack of knowledge I may have on the subject.  So, just as I suspected when this popped up on my phone it is a false positive.

Not really saying anything that anyone else hasn't said so far; however, here are my thoughts on this issue.  I know I would (and I'm guessing at least a few others would) have liked to have had some form of official comunication out reach from Webroot notifying about the issue.  An e-mail to users with a registered Android device or even some type of in app notification pushed out would have been very valuable to me.  I know I was really worried and confused for at least a few hours as I was unable to really research the issue to find out what it was about.  To top it all off I was in the middle of a semi-important text conversation when the alert came in.  Another thing I would have found invaluable would have been for the app to provide more information on the infection than just a name.  Maybe a brief description and the location of the infected files to help me understand the nature of the infection.

Don't get me wrong these are not meant to be viewed as complaints.  These are intended to be viewed as suggestions or improvements that would perhaps make a situation like this better in the future.

I'm sure WebRoot will have the situation handled shortly, but in the mean time it is not too late to send out that message and help those that may still be out of the loop on the situation.

Now, perhaps this has already happened or is already available.  If so please disregard that part of this post.
Welcome seven_7_vii_th

I missed your post yesterday and appreciate your feedback as well! I agree that an email would be helpful in these security issues! Maybe you could put this in our Ideas Exchange Here

Hopefully all this was sorted out for you! Please don't don't be a stranger and join in the Forum for we learn alot and we do have fun!

Thanks Again,:D
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
@ wrote:
Just came up on my htc one, thought I was the only one Haha
Hello and Welcome to the Community Forum 210gnx, Happy to have you here!:D

Sorry you were having problems with your HTC One, Thats an awesome phone by the way! I used to have the HTC Thunderbolt and that was a sweet phone.

I hope you have looked on our KB Here as well!

Have a great day 210gnx!

Userlevel 7
Badge +62
@ wrote:
Support posted this was a false/negative scripting alert.
They will release a fix for it with 24-48 hrs
Go to your webroot mobile app and find the FORCE UPDATE of definitions tool. Also set your scan settings from weekly to daily. This was a result of a Google sms unblock setting within Chrome or gmail. Look for the fix before 08/09/14
:DWelcome kdr406, to the Communiuty Forum! Forcing an Update KB Appreciate your help in the matter.

Thank you,

Add Kdr406 to group post