Solved

Threat unable to be removed

Show first post

37 replies

Userlevel 3
 Thank you for submitting your report. We have found that the detected item was the result of a false positive, and is not a threat. We have updated our security definitions to address this and with default settings the updated definitions should be on your phone when you run a new scan (make sure to wait one hour from last scan run).

If you wish to manually download the latest definitions you can always do so by:
Opening the app > Security > Antivirus > Schedule > Force Update Now.

Thank you,
Webroot Support Team
Now my webroot doesn't work at ask. Just requires force close. Thought I'd try to unload and reload. Couldn't do that either.
It won't let me deactiviate webroot as admin.  just get the same notice as others listed above and requires me to force close.  This is way too much work and worry, when I just paid to upgrade yesterday to (I thought) get rid of a virus that now is said to be not a virus at all.  Have used Webroot on my computer for years, but if I don't get resolve I will definiely rethink renewing my subscription.
Userlevel 7
Deactivating Webroot as Admin is done throug the device, not through Webroot, so it can be done even if Webroot crashes.

On most devices:
Go to Settings for the whole device itself
Tap "Security"
Look for something mentioning "device administrators" or "device administration" and select it.  If it's not there, the device is using a version of the Android OS that does not support Device Administration so that is not the issue
In the device admin screen, UNcheck Webroot and follow the directions if any occur.  Once it's unchecked, back out and you will be able to uninstall it from normal application controls in Settings.

By doing this all through settings, Webroot doesn't run so crashing doesn't matter.
Userlevel 7
@sjshorse:
If you upgraded yesterday purely because you believed it was necessary to remove the false positive and are not interested in the upgrade, please let us know.  We are perfectly willing to offer refunds as long as they're within a reasonable time and the circumstances allow us to convince Google that it is warranted.  In this situation, I highly believe we can convince Google that a refund is warranted.  We'd rather have you be happy with what you have and have what you want than feel like you were tricked or made a mistake.

Just let us know and we'll take care of it for you. 🙂
Thanks for the quick response.   No threats (or problems)  and really fast response.   Thanks!
Hi, i have to say that so far webroot hasn't inspired the greatest of confidence on my mobile, if my phone crashes with something that isn't a virus! What would have happened if it had been a virus, webroot was wrong footed by something that was okay. I'm not a computer buff, just a layman using a mobile, so has concerned me somewhat. Am I way off the mark?
Userlevel 7
Way or partially or not at all, I'll leave up to you.  But here's the related info:

The item in question is a system application that is not cool, but can't be removed.  The reason Webroot crashes in this case is because of the way the OS reacts to something telling it to delete something that cannot physically be deleted.  So the OS (Android) kills it.  A normal bad application can be deleted, so doesn't cause an issue.

I also faced a problem of not being able to remove com.android.settings.mt that was regared as a threat by noton security. Thus, i downloaded webroot secureanywhere mobile free in hope of removing the threat.
The webroot scan tells me that there aren't any viruses or threats. However, when I used norton security to scan my phone again,it told me that there was a threat. 
Samsung Galaxy Ace.
Like Morgan_629, I faced a problem of not being able to remove com.android.settings.mt that was regared as a threat by noton security. Thus, i downloaded webroot secureanywhere mobile free in hope of removing the threat.
The webroot scan tells me that there aren't any viruses or threats. However, when I used norton security to scan my phone again,it told me that there was a threat.
Samsung Galaxy Ace.
Userlevel 7
Hi Whatever,

The response by MichaelB on page 3 summarizes the situation. This app was formerly being detected by Webroot as a false positive. It appears Norton is now generating a false positive on this as well. Webroot has already corrected the detection, so you don't see it showing up in a scan from Webroot. In short, Norton is wrong, and your device is fine. 🙂
Thank you for replying so soon! :catvery-happy: