Solved

Unwanted Advertising Apps

• 27 June 2012
  • 2 replies

AT&T email and Dolphin Browser for tablets Ver 1.0 are leaving advertising apps on my homescreen. Is there a way that I can use Webroot to block this unwanted activity? I am concerned about collection of personal data since I have no idea how deep this intrusion goes, nor any idea of how to stop it. 
icon

Best answer by HowardR 28 June 2012, 01:23

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 4
Hi airdragon,

Welcome to the Webroot Community and thanks for joining us. :D

Can you please clarify for me what you mean by "leaving advertising apps on your homescreen?"   Also, is the AT&T email an App or is it Webmail based?  Advertising  within Android Apps themselves is usually part of the application and not an individual "advertising app."   Some apps require you to go through a setup procedure and may ask you if you want a shortcut placed on one of your homescreens (Dolphin does this), but I have not seen an app just appear on a homescreen. If this is the case then we would need to collect some log files from your tablet to determine what is going on.  Did you scan your tablet with SecureAnywhere to make sure there are no infections reported?

SecureAnywhere Mobile does not have the ability to stop advertising that comes from free apps.  However, making sure that it is set to update and scan your tablet at least once a week is the first step in making sure your tablet is protected against threats.  There is a feature in the Mobile Premier version called the "App Inspector" which allows you to see the Permissions and data that each app can access, but it does not have the ability to stop apps from accessing the information.

In terms of the Dolphin browser, there are ad-blocking plug-ins that do help with advertising that appears on web pages.  If you click on the "Get Add-ons" option within Dolphin you should see it listed.

Thanks, and we look forward to helping you.

Userlevel 4
Hey airdragon,

I just wanted to follow up with you to see if you had figured out the issue you were having with AT&T and the Dolphin browser.  If you can reply back and let me know I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks again 😃