Solved

USB Debugging Alert

Why am I receiving this alert, when the setting is disabled?

icon

Best answer by TripleHelix 14 March 2022, 02:56

View original

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +63

Hello @essex 

Looks like your still using v5 and you should be using v6!
https://community.webroot.com/home-product-releases-27/webroot-mobile-security-for-android-version-6-5-0-2232-349575

Here on Google Play: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.webroot.wms&hl=en_CA&gl=US

Webroot

Get Started in Three Easy Steps

1. Register Webroot Mobile Security so that it is active.
  2. Learn about the product features and run your first security scan.
  3. Use the secure browser with confidence.

Step 1: Registering Webroot Mobile Security

Launch the Webroot Mobile Security App

Webroot Mobile Security is installed by your provider. Tap the App icon on your home screen to launch Webroot Mobile Security.

Enter Your Webroot Mobile Security Keycode

• Existing Users: If you have recently upgraded to our current Webroot Mobile Security app from a previous version, your keycode was automatically transferred. Skip to Accept Subscription Terms.
  • New Users: Your product keycode is required. Please follow the steps below:
  1. Locate your product keycode. This is provided by your salesperson or mailed to you. It will have a mix of 20 letters and numbers that look similar to this:

WSAM-ZZZZ-0000-YYYY-1111

2. Enter the product keycode in the keycode field.
  3. Tap Enter.

Note: This screen includes a link to Webroot’s Privacy Policy. The policy describes how Webroot processes and uses personal data that is collected when the product is used.

Accept Subscription Terms 

Webroot Mobile Security will ask for you to accept the Webroot SecureAnywhere Solution Agreement. Tap AGREE.

Accept System Permissions

1. A welcome screen introduces you to Webroot Mobile Security. Tap GO.
  2. Android will request access for Webroot Mobile Security to your stored media.  Webroot Mobile Security needs this permission to protect your device by doing complete scan of all files and apps. Tap Allow.
Note: If you do not allow Webroot Mobile Security permissions, it will have limited protection, only scanning applications that are installed.

​Step 2: Start Using the App

The First Scan

If Webroot Mobile Security is allowed, it will run a first-time scan of the device and report on the results. You may have to mitigate threats to ensure the device is safe.

Chrome Browser Security

After Webroot Mobile Security determines the device is safe, it will prompt to enable additional security for browsing with Chrome.

Enable Accessibility permissions in Chrome to allow Webroot Mobile Security to protect your browsing:
  1. Tap YES.
  2. Tap OPEN SETTINGS. Accessibility settings should open automatically. If not, follow one of the options below:
    • Most Androids: Settings > Accessibility
    • Samsung: Settings > Accessibility > Installed Services
  3. Scroll through the list of apps to find Webroot Mobile Security.
  4. Tap Webroot Mobile Security icon and turn Accessibility on.
  5. Click Allow.

Webroot Mobile Security is continuously scanning downloaded files and visited websites for malicious behavior, and will provide warnings for known bad sites.

Step 3: Using Webroot Mobile Security Browser

• The home screen of Webroot Mobile Security is a secure browser with extra security most browsers lack.
  • Like the Chrome browser, type the website, URL, or search into the search field and search. As you use the app, the most popular sites will begin to show underneath the search field.
  • The secure browser proactively blocks high risk websites, which can contain links to viruses or other malicious software programs that can capture personal information or corrupt files on your device.
  • View information on day-to-day usage,

Need Support? Open a ticket.

Thanks,

That seems to be nothing more than a web browser with a scan button that tells me nothing.  Further, I do not use Chrome.  I use Edge. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +63

That seems to be nothing more than a web browser with a scan button that tells me nothing.  Further, I do not use Chrome.  I use Edge. 

Yes Webroot Mobile Security is built into a Chrome based browser so it protects your device as well your online browsing.

Let me be more clear:  I use the Microsoft Edge web browser.

I see no means of viewing my device security status, nor any particular item of value for the cost.

How do I do anything in this app? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +63

I use it to keep my phone free of malware and at times use the browser and I use Firefox so I do understand but it has the same full cloud protection as v5 so I don’t see the problem. Keep using Edge.

Click on picture to see full size.

That's fine, for you. 

Without notification access, usage access, oreven​​​ Device Admin access, and only​​​ All Files access, Picture in Picture access, (wants, but nope) Install Unknown Apps access, and an accessibility service specifically for Chrome, how exactly does this app protect anything?

Feeling relatively unprotected and potentially scammed, folks.

Userlevel 7
Badge +63

I’m just a Volunteer so if you have any concerns it’s best to contact Webroot Support and ask them.

Webroot Support:

Submit a ticket or

Call 1-866-612-4227 during the week Mon - Fri 7 AM to 5:30 PM (MDT)

Thanks,

Userlevel 4

@essex, regarding your initial question, the display of the USB Debugging warning when the setting is off is a known defect and presently does not indicate an actual unsafe setting selection.

In terms of the latest version 6 application functionality, you can expect to be protected in the following ways:

• Regularly scheduled scans of your device (leveraging the phone storage permission)
  • Monitoring, interception, and scanning of media file activity (such as downloads)
  • If using the app for browsing, your URL-surfing will be protected to prevent the navigation-to or download of content from known malicious URLs.
  • If the accessibility service is active and you use Chrome, you will get the same URL-surfing protections similar to browsing through the Webroot app.

We recognize that the version 6 application does not provide information on the active protection status of the device, and we are looking at ways to improve visibility into that information and the user experience overall.

I would also like to thank you for your feedback. This type of information is valuable in helping us know how we may improve the application.

@macdonaldj

I see no mention of, or permissions requested for, anything to assure meaningful protection of a device beyond what I can best describe as "stopping me from walking in front of a bus I overlooked," in terms of the described protection being limited to Chrome/the Webroot browser, and file scanning of an unspecified area of the filesystem.

What about processes? Services? Signaling? Bootloader? Android Security update/patch level?  Critical App updates?  Startup apps?  Apps with risky /dangerous permissions? (Of which Webroot has none!!! ​​​​​​ But should!!!) 

I don't understand why Webroot has gone the direction to create what is honestly not much more than a browser plugin for safe browsing, and going further to limit /force use of a specific browser.

The USB Debugging Alert, while very simplistic and binary, was highly impactful and beneficial for any user, novice or advanced.  This is also something I never saw the competitors care to have and set Webroot apart, for me. 

My brand loyalty was pretty strong, having been impressed by the Windows product years ago at an MSP-related conference and subsequently deploying countless seats of Webroot across my state and otherwise evangelizing the product to all who would listen. 

I'm not going to be able to recommend the android product as described or experienced.  Please tell me I'm missing something? 

... I do not consider this solved, folks... 

Userlevel 7
Badge +24

Hey @essex 

I can understand the impression that the newest version does far less than our older unsupported version of the mobile software, but I can assure you it is more than just a ULR/IP blocker on a browser

This will scan apks and uses our massive mobile intelligence we've built up over the years

Updating to the latest version of the app will resolve your issue. Please reach out to support if you would like help or need further questions answered. 

Thanks for the response, @TylerM 

I'm honestly not attempting to troll, here.  I am frustrated by what I've seen, read, and have been told.  Updating had not, and still does not, resolve my issue.  For example, nothing in the settings screams or even whispers antivirus.  If anything, it looks like the settings page for a stripped down Chromium browser:

Which stands to reason, as it appears for all intents and purposes devoid of your word otherwise, a web browser with a scan button:

What am I scanning?  Where is there any kind of reporting?  Where is the support for Microsoft products? 

Edge is fantastic for business with its tight O365/Azure integration and lack of Google tracking, which is why it's trending upward.  Doesn't hurt that it's generally faster than Chrome, either.  I also use the same Edge app for personal use with a different profile.  What does webroot do for me, having silo'd itself to Chrome?  I would happily entrust Webroot to monitor my traffic via whichever method you chose, so long as it wasn't limited to a single browser session. 

Even Microsoft's Defender deployed a VPN on my phone to monitor my traffic, albeit having since been uninstalled. 

This is mobile security, just with a big asterisk, I guess?