Warning received about "widget.storystack". How to research the Risk/Threat before choosing?

• 9 September 2014
  • 3 replies

I received a warning notification on my Android phone about "widget.storystack". 

Webroot blocked access to widget.storystack.com/redirect
This webpage exhibited suspicious behavior or is similar to known sources of malware or spam.  Visiting this page may put you at risk.

The notification presents me with 3 Options: Block the page, Continue to page, or Never block this site. 
Before making the decision, is there a way to research the particular Risk/Threat for more details?

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +62
@ wrote:
I received a warning notification on my Android phone about "widget.storystack". 

Webroot blocked access to widget.storystack.com/redirect
This webpage exhibited suspicious behavior or is similar to known sources of malware or spam.  Visiting this page may put you at risk.

The notification presents me with 3 Options: Block the page, Continue to page, or Never block this site. 
Before making the decision, is there a way to research the particular Risk/Threat for more details?
Welcome to the Community Forum, The_Klink,

I've look this up and found this srticle from VirusTotal Here and Here

I would block this site and see what happens and then you can issue a Support Ticket as well.

Maybe one of our Forum Members can assist here. TripleHelix have any information concerning this?

Regards,
Thank you for the 2 links to VirusTotal sites.  The first link didn't appear to be an article.  (I will come back to that later.) 

The second link displays information about "Passive DNS replication" and a section about "Latest undetected files that embed this domain in their strings".  Under that section is a list of "files" with long names which look like gobblety-**bleep**.  I discovered that there were hotlinks for each one which end up displaying a list of Anti-Virus providers and Green Checks. It appears that those providers have determined that Storystack is Safe?  Or am I interpreting that incorrectly?  Please advise.

After looking at the first link some more, I noticed there was a tab for URL.  So I entered "http://widget.storystack.com/redirect" and clicked "Scan it".  The site came back with a page of Results displaying "Clean site" or "Unrated site".  Based on that, it appears that those providers have determined that Storystack is Safe?  Or am I interpreting that incorrectly?  Please advise. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +62
@ wrote:
Thank you for the 2 links to VirusTotal sites.  The first link didn't appear to be an article.  (I will come back to that later.) 

The second link displays information about "Passive DNS replication" and a section about "Latest undetected files that embed this domain in their strings".  Under that section is a list of "files" with long names which look like gobblety-**bleep**.  I discovered that there were hotlinks for each one which end up displaying a list of Anti-Virus providers and Green Checks. It appears that those providers have determined that Storystack is Safe?  Or am I interpreting that incorrectly?  Please advise.

After looking at the first link some more, I noticed there was a tab for URL.  So I entered "http://widget.storystack.com/redirect" and clicked "Scan it".  The site came back with a page of Results displaying "Clean site" or "Unrated site".  Based on that, it appears that those providers have determined that Storystack is Safe?  Or am I interpreting that incorrectly?  Please advise. 

Hello The_Klink,

To me it looks good to go but maybe someone here on the Forum can advise further?