Webroot Mobile Flagging CSC.apk as threat - is this a false flag??

• 25 April 2019
  • 4 replies

Badge +1
Hi,

I'm trying to get some information if I have a legitimate issue on my phone or if this can be ignored. On Monday (4/22) Webroot mobile (Galaxy Note 9 on Android 9.0) started flagging apps I've been using for months as threats telling me they were Trojans.

These apps hadn't been updated recently and were things like the Samsung calculator, an app called Trainerize, and something called CSC.apk (com.samsung.sec.android.application.csc). I used the option in Webroot to ignore the apps, updated my Webroot from the playstore and the Trainerize app and restarted my phone and the apps are no longer on the ignore list.

However the CSC.apk is still flagged as a threat. I can't find any information about what this file does other than it has to do with some features on Samsung phones and when I tried removing the threat, Webroot wasn't able to. I've just let it be now thinking Webroot will update it's definitions and it will no longer flag this, but it's been 4 days now and it's still getting flagged.

I tried reaching out to Webroot to open a ticket, but I couldn't get past the login screen for some reason, it would just refresh when I entered my password (that I know is correct).

Can someone please tell me Is this file safe and Webroot is falsely flagging it, or do I have a real problem?

This topic has been closed for comments

4 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +17
Hi mjmcken3 this may help

If you use Webroot on an Android phone and see multiple ‘infected file’ notifications, please upgrade to version 5.5.5 from the Google Play Store.

Once you’re running the latest version, additional steps may need to be taken:

1) If you quarantined the affected apps, resolve by:
a. Following the steps to restore apps from quarantine in the attached doc. Each app must be un-quarantined separately.

2) If you did not quarantine or uninstall the affected apps, resolve by:
a. Waiting until after 11pm MST April 22, 2019 as this will allow the app cache to clear automatically. After this time, no new notifications relating to this issue will occur.

3) If you uninstalled apps identified as infected, resolve by:
a. Re-installing any apps that were deleted by downloading the latest version from the Google Play Store.

We appreciate your patience on this. If you have any questions, feel free to open a customer support ticket at support.webroot.com
Badge +1
I'm still having this csc.apk pop up as a threat. Should I click stop ignoring? I do have latest updates also.
Badge +1
No i recommend u don't ignore it...Contact officials and bring a permanant solution to it.Bcoz it will do nothing but just increase irritation..Which will effect your work too...So do not ignore it